PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] any problems with dvd drives

surrealillusions
January 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hi,

I need a new DVD drive as this one is on the way out, its stopped reading some DVD's.

So, just wondering if theres any known problems when installing DVD drives while running linux?

Any drives I should avoid, or any ones that you recommend? Looking at cheap as possible, but dual layer burning would be nice to have.

garvinrick4
January 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM
You did have libdvdcss2 installed?

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
Other than that someone else will have to answer on quality of Optical drives.
Have a nice day.

Krazie_kid
January 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I had a few problems with all my DVD's not playing, I was running win 7 originally, then I went to dual boot, then I wiped my whole computer after I had a rootkit on win 7. Once I put on my Ubuntu fully on my computer, I could not play DVD's. I will try to find the codes for you that I typed in and it worked fine after that.

EDIT: I can not find it right now, I will keep looking, it is a simple sudo code.

megabyte1234
January 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Ubuntu does not completely support encrypted DVDs, so that can be the problem. What player do you use?

surrealillusions
January 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package libdvdcss2 has no installation candidate

I've tried both VLC Player and Movie Player for some DVD's, whereas they work with VLC player under Windoze 7

deserthowler
January 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package libdvdcss2 has no installation candidate

I've tried both VLC Player and Movie Player for some DVD's, whereas they work with VLC player under Windoze 7

Did you go to Medibuntu to get libdvdcss2?

That has been necessary for me to play movies.

Earl

mc4man
January 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Any drives I should avoid
While I'm sure that many of their models are fine, if getting a sata dvd drive I'd avoid samsung.
By far the most issues posted here over the last few years have been that brand.

As far as getting haven't kept up on new stuff, stashed several plextors and benq's several years ago before plextor went cheap and benq went away.
cdfreaks used to be a good site to ck. out - seems it's changed a bit (myce), though the reviews and forum are still probably ok.
http://www.myce.com/review/