PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Program menu on a window

Sda1986
January 17th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hi all.

It's a lot time I'm searching for something like Gnome Control Center (standard on ubuntu) but for Program. I would like have all my program show like all my setting in the picture.

http://linux.fitria.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gnome-Control-Center_1.png

I saw with ubuntu 11.04 there will be a kind of dash that do something like what I want but much prettier and better, but I don't want install ALL unity and I would love keep my gnome desktop. And I don't want waste too much ram to open a normal program that I can open after open this windows.

I usually use gnome-do with docky without gnome-panel, so if sometime I don't remember the name of a program i must start gnome-panel to see on the menu. If I can find a window like that in the post I can start that window with gnome-do and then find the program.

Really thanks!

Stefano

ajgreeny
January 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Do you mean a more graphical looking menu, like Linux Mint, or something similar to that? If that is what you are after, you may be able to install the mint menu on ubuntu; it was possible in the past, as I tried it 2 or 3 years ago, but didn't like it so removed it quickly.

You can also use the package gnome-main-menu from the repos, which does the same thing.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Sda1986
January 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
MultiplePost
Sorry

Sda1986
January 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Do you mean a more graphical looking menu, like Linux Mint, or something similar to that? If that is what you are after, you may be able to install the mint menu on ubuntu; it was possible in the past, as I tried it 2 or 3 years ago, but didn't like it so removed it quickly.

You can also use the package gnome-main-menu from the repos, which does the same thing.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Nope I want a separate window, not like mint menu or gnome menu or all kind of dropdown menu. Because i don't have gnome-panel running on my system, then i would love to open it like "Super-Space / Programs" with gnome-do and have all the list of my programs like the picture where i have the list of my system configuration programs! So i thought maybe modify the gnome-control-menu and ask it to take the basic programs instead of system configuration programs, but i have no idea how!

Sda1986
January 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM
MultiplePost
Sorry

ajgreeny
January 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
OK, but I've never come across anything like that.

The only way I can think of that might be possible is to make a new folder in your home, and in that put a copy of every application.desktop file that you already have in your menus. If you set the view of that as compact it is almost the sort of thing you want, and if you choose not to show the sidepanel, toolbar and locationbar which normally show in nautilus, you will get a nice clean look like my screenshot.