View Full Version : Open Letter to Ubuntu’s Benevolent Dictator

newbie2
April 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/59549/index.html
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?p=26
:mrgreen:

Toxicity999
April 27th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Haven't finished reading yet... I've read a few articles like this just today... (people blog these allllll the time...) This one is fairly good though... Ilike some of the points raised... Things most of us know partially atleast but compiliations for focus are always nice. That's what stops linux distros from being completely accepted... the fact that most people can just download and play around a little.. but you get those unfortunate usually computer illiterate people who have no Idea how to fix some simple problems. It's easy to say that they should just learn... and I have to agree... but if we want success we need to aim for that market... the people who have no clue... (sadly) I think we're really working on just that too... keeping the geekly complexities always avilable for us in the background but allowing newbsa pretty favce until their comfortable. We allow people to learn... windows doesn't.

helpme
April 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I don't agree with everything, but it's a very nice article overall.

One thing that came to my mind, isn't launchpad supposed to be a tool that should help accomplish at least some of the recommendations he mentions? For example, making it easy to track bugs across different distributions?

KeithCu
April 28th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks for your comments. Launchpad helps, but the buglist is growing as they get closer to ship, so it can't solve be solving all the problems. :-)
I like Ubuntu very much but Debian seems a little stagnant and Ubuntu is small and so Ubuntu has challenges facing it to keep up the momentum. If Ubuntu had 100 devs, it would totally kick ***.

ssam
April 28th, 2006, 01:36 AM
you dont have to be a coder to help https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs

(a lot of the 10000 open bugs are for minor issues in obscure packages, duplicates etc)

htinn
April 28th, 2006, 01:59 AM
That's a pretty well-written letter. I'm looking forward to seeing a response. :)

KeithCu
April 28th, 2006, 02:04 AM
The 10,171 number is only the known bugs and I think there are plenty more bugs out there. Even fixing the known bad bugs will take a while given the size of the team and a lot of bugs are still unconfirmed or untouched.

malcolmb
April 28th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Very interesting read, also read his open letter to the head of Debian, which was also interesting, as well as long very long interview about the space elevator.

I feel as though i learnt something.

(speakign of bugs, im wondering why i see 2 posts by KeithCu in this thread,but it says he only has 1 "Bean")

htinn
April 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM
(You don't get Beans for Cafe posts.)

KeithCu
May 2nd, 2006, 03:32 AM
That's a pretty well-written letter. I'm looking forward to seeing a response. :)

I also sent a link in a mail to Mark Shuttleworth a few days ago, but haven't heard a response. Maybe he's too busy hiring people! :-D