PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox bookmarks import

buteobuteo
January 16th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Where does Firefox expect to find a bookmark file to import? I've done a clean instal but if I try to import bookmarks it says none found but doesn't give the chance to browse to the file (I've dropped bookmark.htm onthe desktop for now).
Thanks in advance.

presence1960
January 17th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Follow the screenshots, at the last step find your HTML file backup and click Open. Your bookmarks will be imported.

lovinglinux
January 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM
If you have just copied the boomkark.htm from your old profile, then you are out of luck, because Firefox doesn't use that file to store bookmarks since version 3.

Firefox stores bookmarks in the database file places.sqlite. However it can still import bookmark.html files, if you have generated such file manually, via export or other method.

To import, you need to access the bookmark "import and backup" feature of the Bookmark Manager. Firefox also creates regular backups, saved as json files, that you can restore using the same tool.

buteobuteo
January 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Will try that later, thank you both for nicely detailed info.

ProNux
April 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I have Firefox 4 under Natty. There is no "Organized Bookmarks" menu. How to do? I have done this in Windows 7, now I cannot on Ubuntu.

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I have Firefox 4 under Natty. There is no "Organized Bookmarks" menu. How to do? I have done this in Windows 7, now I cannot on Ubuntu.

Click "Bookmarks >> Show All Bookmarks" in Firefox menu.

ProNux
April 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Click "Bookmarks >> Show All Bookmarks" in Firefox menu.
Ah now I see the elusive "Import and Backup" menu on top. Thanks man.

Sezmeralda
June 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Ah now I see the elusive "Import and Backup" menu on top. Thanks man.

This stymied me for a good five minutes 'till I realised I had to maximise the window in order to see the menu options!