PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install twice on same hard drive?

Siramau
January 16th, 2011, 11:16 PM
This is a slightly odd (and probably n00bish) question, hopefully I can explain adequately.

Is it possible to have two Ubuntu installs on the same hard drive?

When I booted up my computer this morning it hung at "Checking battery state..." (See my other thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668616) and I have not been able to fix it. I really, really don't want to reinstall Ubuntu, because I was stupid and didn't back up my hard drive, so I would lose many important files. (I'm also not thrilled at the prospect of having to reinstall all my programs and re-fix all the little issues I've resolved)

So, could I install off the LiveCD into a new partition, with the other partition containing the borked install and all of my data so that I could continue to use my computer (just without any of my files an installed programs) until I figure out how to fix my problem, at which time I could delete the partition I had been using? If so, how would I do this?

I'm kind of a n00b, so this may very well be a stupid question, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

kansasnoob
January 16th, 2011, 11:28 PM
This is a slightly odd (and probably n00bish) question, hopefully I can explain adequately.

Is it possible to have two Ubuntu installs on the same hard drive?

When I booted up my computer this morning it hung at "Checking battery state..." (See my other thread ) and I have not been able to fix it. I really, really don't want to reinstall Ubuntu, because I was stupid and didn't back up my hard drive, so I would lose many important files. (I'm also not thrilled at the prospect of having to reinstall all my programs and re-fix all the little issues I've resolved)

So, could I install off the LiveCD into a new partition, with the other partition containing the borked install and all of my data so that I could continue to use my computer (just without any of my files an installed programs) until I figure out how to fix my problem, at which time I could delete the partition I had been using? If so, how would I do this?

I'm kind of a n00b, so this may very well be a stupid question, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Many, many Distros:

Then I can slowly and carefully move things from one to the other.

Siramau
January 16th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Okay. So, right now I have a borked install on an unpartitioned disk, and I'm running Ubuntu off the LiveCD. How do I install into a new partition so I will be able to chose what I'm booting into (they would both be 10.10)?
Thanks.