PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing, last page, advanced options

pjmlmas
January 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I already have Ubuntu 10.041 and windows xp installed as dual-boot.
I am installing another version of Ubuntu in a logical partition.

On the last page of the live install guide, there are advanced options.
There is a check box next to install boot loader.
I already have boot loader from previous Ubuntu installation, correct?
What were to happen if I un-check this box?

The reason I ask is there were grub updates from previous Ubuntu install. I am wary of leaving this checkbox set, especially if not needed.

Quackers
January 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
What version are you installing?
In 10.04 you can untick that box and the bootloader will not install, if memory serves me right!
Then if you reboot you should get to the older Ubuntu, where you can run
sudo update-grub which should pick up your new installation and add it to the grub menu.
Maybe somebody else could confirm this?

ajgreeny
January 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I don't think you can stop grub being installed completely, as Quackers is suggesting, but if you wish to continue with the current grub, you can either put grub on a different disk from the old version, if you have two or more disks, or you can choose to put it on the new ubuntu root partition. Grub on a root partition is not normally recommended, but is not a problem if you have only one disk and use grub from another installed OS.

Having done that
sudo update-grub in your old OS will pick up the new one, as Quackers suggests, and allow you to boot that from the old grub.

Quackers
January 16th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I thought installers prior to 10.10 allowed the user to choose not to install grub. I know that 10.10 doesn't allow that, but I'm sure I remember such an option in 10.04 :-)

ajgreeny
January 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I must double check that again then, but I don't remember seeing any option to not install grub, just every partition and each disk. If I'm wrong, I apologise.

Frogs Hair
January 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
The install grub checkbox appeared on the screen during Wubi installations of 10.04. I was helping a friend with Wubi and I remember not checking the option.

pjmlmas
January 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
i checked 10.10. It only gives option on where to install bootloader (sdaXX)

Just info about bootloader install...this means that when installing new instance of Ubuntu, the MBR will ALWAYS be overwritten, from my understanding of GRUB2?
MBR -> point to newest Ubuntu install's bootloader?

Worry, because I though about option of putting on Fedora/CentOS AND downgrading all Ubuntu installs to GRUB.

Quackers
January 17th, 2011, 06:31 PM
In the 10.10 installer there is no option to not install a bootloader. It has been removed. I believe, though, that it is a valid option in versions 10.04 and before.
Grub2 will pick up other operating systems.

dino99
January 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
*** the MBR will ALWAYS be overwritten, from my understanding of GRUB2? ***

this point is not very clear on grub2 side. Have had some issues that lets me thinking its not true. Anyway install grub2 again in the same place as first (might be /dev/sda, not sdax), then into a terminal:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

a dialog box will popup: deselect the checked box and validate. So now all the grub are removed. Run again the command above and check to install it on /dev/sda.