PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio 10.10

nino9008
January 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I am a bit of a Ubuntu no0b so forgive any terminology or logic errors.
I recently got a brand new Asus (K52F to be exact) that comes with Windows 7 preloaded. As soon as I got it, I partitioned the 320gb hard drive so that I could keep my music, movies, documents, etc.. separate from the Windows installation in case something goes wrong (something always does). My harddrive partition setup is 50gb for Windows, 200 for documents and music, and 40 unallocated. I had messed around with Ubuntu in the past so I figured I give a dualboot a shot. My only issue is I don't particularly like the GRUB bootloader. During the Installation of Ubuntu Studio, I opted not to put GRUB on the MBR but on the Linux partition itself, this way I could use Windows bootloader to choose whether to run UBuntu or windows, keeping windows the default choice (if i'm away from my computer). I used EasyBCD to add GRUB to the boot menu. But when it loads grub after the boot menu, and I choose to run Ubuntu it brings me to a text-based login, and from there I have no idea what to do. I was hoping to just get right into the GNOME interface but I'm stuck at the text-based login with no idea what to do. Did I install Studio wrong?