PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Periodic Maintenance

madsmaddad
January 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I have just created a periodic maintenance schedule for friends using Windows XP, covering tasks needing to be done weekly, monthly, semi-annually and annually. That set me to wondering what maintenance my Kubuntu system needs.

What periodic maintenance do you do?

fabricator4
January 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
What periodic maintenance do you do?

Because of the limited disk space on my Eee-PC I've found it's vitally important to uninstall all old and redundant kernels. I also go through and delete all programs I haven't used or don't need. Probably most important, and most required for this machine is to keep control over the downloads and home folders, archiving anything I want to keep and deleting the rest.

This keeps my Eee-PC with just an 8Gb SSD looking like a lean mean Ubuntu machine. I ditched Ubuntu One and several other applications, and added stuff that I really needed.

Apart from this and little tweaks as I learn more about the OS is all the maintenance that I find I need to do. Unlike Windows machines, Linux doesn't get loaded up with rubbish and resource hogs, provided you are reasonable careful.

Chris