PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for a special open source project

liherb
January 16th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Can anybody here recommend an open source project which features functionality that allows you to type in a tree-view panel, and the software will automatically transform the whole thing that you've typed into a vector graphic diagram, based on some pre-defined rules that you provide. Moreover, when you are viewing the diagram, you can add/modify/remove items on the diagram, and it will automatically be reflected back into the tree-view when you switch back. For example, to model a process, you may start out with jotting down as many entries as you can think of into a tree-view, and then let the software automatically render it into a UML diagram, and then you refine the process in that vector graphic diagram view, and then switch back to the tree-view to check the details. The desired project is preferably written in Python.

slavik
January 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I gotta ask. Who are you selling this to? or Who tasked you with this project?

Sounds like MS Project meets UML modeller to me. I just don't see how the two views can be easily converted between themselves.

Usually tree views don't allow decision making (if I am close to your idea of MS Project), they only track dependencies.

liherb
January 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I gotta ask. Who are you selling this to? or Who tasked you with this project?

Sounds like MS Project meets UML modeller to me. I just don't see how the two views can be easily converted between themselves.

Usually tree views don't allow decision making (if I am close to your idea of MS Project), they only track dependencies.

Hi slavik. No it is not for selling, so the requirements are only mine. MS Project is a little bit too unwieldy sometimes, but your guess is close. I am looking for a project as I described that I can participate in. Tree-view is important, as it is part of my daily work. I believe it is not too difficult to implement, when using database to store every items?
Any ideas? Thank you.

slavik
January 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
You'll have to write your own and find a way to represent multiple dependencies in treeform.

liherb
January 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hey come on, any tiny clues will be appreciated. I was recommended by my friend that here I am likely to find some expert's advice!

liherb
January 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Or maybe anybody can kindly advise me to post this to other forum that is more likely to seek some help? I will definitely do my research. I'm just a bit clueless now.

testboss
January 17th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I suggest to go for a sourforge platform as there are alot of open projects.