PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with Ubuntu Software Center.

mr.johnbrug
January 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Whenever i go into Ubuntu software center, find somthing i want, and try and click the install button, it won't do anything. I don't know what to do. If anyone could help, that would be cool. Thanks!

thenickrulz
January 16th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Never seen this problem... does an error come up?? if there is no error im not sure why it doesn't work.. i can't really help u.

mr.johnbrug
January 16th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Nope, no error, just no change what so ever. It worked before, but all of a sudden soon after i updated to 10.4 it didn't work.

Rubi1200
January 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Hi,
close all instances of Software Center or other package managers.

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run the following commands:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

If there are errors reported, post them here please.

Hopefully, this should fix things and allow you to use the Software Center again.

thenickrulz
January 16th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Check for updates that might be the problem if u have no updates i am not sure what....:confused:

mr.johnbrug
January 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Hi,
close all instances of Software Center or other package managers.

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run the following commands:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

If there are errors reported, post them here please.

Hopefully, this should fix things and allow you to use the Software Center again.

When i typed this into terminal, at the end of the process, it said 0 updated, and 0 for everything else and when i tried to download something, it had not worked for software center.

thenickrulz
January 16th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Did u got into system administration update manager and check for updates if u have updates get them (If u can)!

mr.johnbrug
January 16th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Yep, checked that, and i have no new updates needed to be installed. :confused:

TNT1
January 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Try and install the package you want from the terminal and see if it does work, then we can see if the problem is with apt or with the USC frontend.

mr.johnbrug
January 16th, 2011, 08:17 PM
The only problem is i don't know how to find the package online for Ubuntu only something called "OpenSuSE" and "RedHat Advanced Server 4".

Rubi1200
January 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM
It would really help if you told us the name of the package you want to install.

Another question, check in Synaptic and see if the ubuntu-desktop package is installed.

ptrinder64
January 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Is it asking for your administrative password?

thenickrulz
January 17th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Sry can't help you never heard of this problem??:(

ptrinder64
January 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Just a quick question - are you running this off of battery power? If so, according to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1570696) on some netbooks you need to be plugged into mains power. My laptop seems to install ok on battery power, but that may just be a quirk.

If this isn't the issue, it may be worth trying one or two suggestions in http://www.ubuntux.org/node/9157. If one does work, post back the solution for future users ;),