PDA

View Full Version : The new "Tron" movie and linux

u-noob-tu
January 16th, 2011, 03:55 AM
So i just went and saw the new "Tron Legacy" movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Interestingly, it had a lot to do with the idea of "open source", especially in the beginning of the movie. Sam Flynn's (the main character) father was a leading endorser of free and open software (before he got sucked into the computer). His company is called Encom, but once he disappeared it quickly became like apple and microsoft (in the movie it is about to release its "Encom OS 12". *cough**cough* Mac OS *cough*). anyway, later there is a scene with a terminal that Sam is putting in commands that wouldnt be out of place here. i saw things like /bin, /bash, and I swear i saw "Linux". I dont want to give any more away, but i think its interesting to see that the idea of "open source" seems to have gotten some kind of major outlet, even though it isnt mentioned much after the first 20 minutes of the movie. if youre a fan of technology (im going to assume everyone here is) then i highly recommend the movie. has anyone else seen it and picked up on something i missed?

Smart Viking
January 16th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I didn't see "linux" anywhere, didn't they use like, solaris?

ki4jgt
January 16th, 2011, 04:03 AM
So i just went and saw the new "Tron Legacy" movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Interestingly, it had a lot to do with the idea of "open source", especially in the beginning of the movie. Sam Flynn's (the main character) father was a leading endorser of free and open software (before he got sucked into the computer). His company is called Encom, but once he disappeared it quickly became like apple and microsoft (in the movie it is about to release its "Encom OS 12". *cough**cough* Mac OS *cough*). anyway, later there is a scene with a terminal that Sam is putting in commands that wouldnt be out of place here. i saw things like /bin, /bash, and I swear i saw "Linux". I dont want to give any more away, but i think its interesting to see that the idea of "open source" seems to have gotten some kind of major outlet, even though it isnt mentioned much after the first 20 minutes of the movie. if youre a fan of technology (im going to assume everyone here is) then i highly recommend the movie. has anyone else seen it and picked up on something i missed?

Two thumbs way way up!!

u-noob-tu
January 16th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I didn't see "linux" anywhere, didn't they use like, solaris?

i saw the words "SolarOS" thats probably what you saw. Im not sure if i saw linux, it was moving around a lot (the camera).

juancarlospaco
January 16th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Normal people are getting Geekified... open source is cool now

akand074
January 16th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Haha yeah I love seeing references like that in movies/tv shows. Like when I was watching Social Networking, I was thinking "He's running Linux! KDE Desktop Environment!".

themusicalduck
January 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/linux-top-command-used-in-tron-trailer/
:guitar:

TheWeakSleep
January 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
What year was that part of the movie set in? When flynn would have been using that computer. I thought sometime in the 80's? Which would mean it would have been a type of unix and not linux. I could be wrong though.

A brief visit to the wikipedia page tells me that it was 1989 which would mean no, it is not linux.

linuxforartists
January 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Glad this thread got started. I was thinking of similar stuff, although I didn't catch any of the terminal commands like others did. Good eyes!

The references to open-source software were cool. I liked that executive meeting where the board member asks what got improved in the new version of the OS, and the CEO arrogantly answers, "We added a 12!" Some software companies definitely have an attitude like that.

The scene where Flynn is dissecting the code to heal Quorra's arm made me think of a reference. A hologram of her arm is depicted with code as DNA.

Sam says, "Didn't you build it?" Flynn says, "I built some of it." That reminded me of a statistic I read somewhere, that Linus Torvalds' contribution makes up about 2% of the Linux kernel these days. Ah, here it is: Linux Torvalds, world famous hacker (http://www.rawhack.com/famous.hackers/linus.torvalds.htm).

Spice Weasel
January 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Damn, UNIX-like operating systems are mainstream now.

Guess I should switch to Haiku to stay cool.

ssam
January 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM
there was some discussion about the commands used in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1659538

paulstaf
October 24th, 2011, 02:30 AM
It is Ubuntu they are using, it appears to be a live cd. I captured a screenshot and zoomed in and the prompt says:

/lib/modules/2.6.24-24-generic/ubuntu$

paulstaf
October 24th, 2011, 02:32 AM
http://www.staffordnet.net/tron_ubuntu.png

krapp
October 24th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Emacsen!

Gremlinzzz
October 24th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Most of the movies i see use Mac:popcorn:
if they were using Ubuntu maybe, they went over there budget:popcorn: