PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install on older machine?

Ninesvnsicks
January 16th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on an older machine I had laying around it's a Pentium 3 1ghz and the install went fine but when it boots up the only thing that boots is the desktop there's no panels or anything else I'm not sure what is wrong with it.

garvinrick4
January 16th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Can you ctrl/alt/t and get a terminal:
Or alt/f2

Ninesvnsicks
January 16th, 2011, 06:06 AM
ok weird, this time it gave me a login I enter my passwd it lets me in i see the panels for 2 secs then it sends me back to login again so I login and it was working. No idea what that's about anyways boxee wont run on it apparently so guess I'm stuck with another old comp i can't use lol.

Rubi1200
January 16th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Depending on the specifications, you may need to consider something 'lighter' like Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

TNT1
January 16th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Depending on the specifications, you may need to consider something 'lighter' like Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Or something even lighter, like arch, slitaz or antiX:D

Ninesvnsicks
January 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah I've been trying to find some kind of jukebox software that will run but the built in video card is an old Intel 82810E so nothing I have tried so far runs.

TNT1
January 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Yeah I've been trying to find some kind of jukebox software that will run but the built in video card is an old Intel 82810E so nothing I have tried so far runs.

Try antiX or slitaz, good with old/slow hardware.

Rubi1200
January 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Try antiX or slitaz, good with old/slow hardware.
+1 to both suggestions

ronnielsen1
January 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM
oh come on people, it's a Pentium 3 1ghz. It should run fine. Where did you get your Ubuntu disk - Sounds like maybe a bad burn or something happened during the install. Try reinstalling with a new disk

Ninesvnsicks
January 16th, 2011, 11:08 PM
oh come on people, it's a Pentium 3 1ghz. It should run fine. Where did you get your Ubuntu disk - Sounds like maybe a bad burn or something happened during the install. Try reinstalling with a new disk

Ubuntu runs a little slow due to the video card but the main concern is Boxee (the whole reason i put ubuntu on0 doesn't run because the video card has no open gl or something. So ubuntu is pointless on it atm.

LinUxaliVe
January 16th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Ubuntu will run fine without (open)gl, but an app may require it...

I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 to an old PIII, 800Mhz, 512MB, using this method.

1. Remove the Gnome saturation of the OS: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

If KDE is still too slow for your tastes, try something like OpenBox + Pypanel.

2. Remove all the excess junk: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/cleaning-up-all-unnecessary-junk-files-in-ubuntu.html

3. If the above two aren't enough on their own, try a different (supported) kernel: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RealTime

I'm posting from the machine now.

ronnielsen1
January 17th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Ubuntu runs a little slow due to the video card but the main concern is Boxee (the whole reason i put ubuntu on0 doesn't run because the video card has no open gl or something. So ubuntu is pointless on it atm.Is your computer working fine EXCEPT for more graphics intensive programs? You might just need a video card driver. What video card is it? Post the output of lspci -v from a terminal

I reread your first post and I forgot about the missing panels and everything. I still think you probably need to reinstall but a video card driver can make alot of difference too

LinUxaliVe
January 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Just thought I'd add that if you are using ext2, or preferably ext4, you should have them mounted with the 'noatime' option. I wouldn't use ext3 on an older PC, or even an older hard-drive.