PDA

View Full Version : python and os.system("grep from *")

flyingsliverfin
January 16th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I'm trying to assign the stuff that os.system("grep from *") returns, but i can't do it normally. How do i do it? Whenever i try to simply assign it to a variable it gives x = 0

Some Penguin
January 16th, 2011, 03:36 AM
What a process returns is a single integer. What you're looking for is the *output*, not the return value.

That said, I'm sure Python has its own regular-expression system, so why are you spawning two additional processes (a shell, to interpret the command; grep, the command actually being run) instead of using Python itself?

flyingsliverfin
January 16th, 2011, 03:40 AM
i guess i can look up the python equivalent of bash grep... Its just that im familiar with grep and bash for maintanance tasks

MadCow108
January 16th, 2011, 09:45 AM
with python 2.7 there is the convenience function check_output to do that.
for older versions you need to use Popen + communicate
http://docs.python.org/library/subprocess.html

import subprocess, glob
files = glob.glob("*")
if len(files) > 0:
grep = subprocess.Popen(["grep", "from"] + files, stdout=PIPE)
print grep.communicate()[0]

use glob to get the files and do not use shell=True. why is mentioned on the help page.

of course you could also do what grep does directly in python in a similar amount of lines.

slavik
January 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I gotta ask, what's the context of what you are trying to do.

And because I like Perl more:

for my $file (glob("*")) {
open FILE, $file or die $!;
print grep "blah", <FILE>;
close FILE;
}

ghostdog74
January 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm trying to assign the stuff that os.system("grep from *") returns, but i can't do it normally. How do i do it? Whenever i try to simply assign it to a variable it gives x = 0

if you want to use Python, then use Python. Why mix shell and Python together? Unless you really have no choice, then do it this way. It makes your code non portable.

for file in os.listdir("."):
if os.path.isfile(file):
for line in open(file):
if "pattern" in line:
print line.rstrip()

ghostdog74
January 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM
And because I like Perl more:

Its a Python question. Why the Perl stuff?

flyingsliverfin
January 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM
if you want to use Python, then use Python. Why mix shell and Python together? Unless you really have no choice, then do it this way. It makes your code non portable.

if os.path.isfile(file):
for line in open(file):
if "pattern" in line:
print line.rstrip()

I like this one :) I'm still learning python, but this one makes sense. I'm short on time to do this (couple minutes here and there, between hw) so i don't have time to look up stuff i dont know (like glob)

Thanks

flyingsliverfin
January 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM

if os.path.isfile(file):
for line in open(file):
if "pattern" in line:
print line.rstrip()

I like this one :) I'm still learning python, but this one makes sense. I'm short on time to do this (couple minutes here and there, between hw) so i don't have time to look up stuff i dont know (like glob)

Thanks