PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unmounted root partition is accessed through and obscures a 2nd mounted partition

Anon2
January 15th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hi, my google skills are pretty good but I found this error difficult to define with a short query.

I've attached a screen-shot which shows the error at a glance. In words:

1. Recently installed a new sata drive which became /dev/sda. Existing device names were shunted by one letter.

2. After correcting the device name of the swap partition from /dev/sdc2 to /dev/sdd2, ubuntu boots without complaint and my hard drives look like:

sda - sata (sda1 (other os) label=newwin ntfs)
sdb - sata (sdb1 (other os) label=oldwin ntfs)
sdc - ide (sdc1 (ubuntu) label=ubuntu ext3)
sdd - ide (sdd3 (data) label=e ext3, sdd1 (data) label=f ext2, sdd2 (linux-swap) label=none linux-swap-partition)

3. Gparted shows that sdc1 (ubuntu) is not mounted at all (when it should be mounted on '/' as fstab states), and that sdd3 (data) is instead mounted on both '/' and '/e' (when it should be mounted only on '/e' as fstab states).

4. 'ls /' does not however show the contents of sdd3 (data), but the contents of sdc1 (ubuntu).

5. 'ls /e' does not show the contents of sdd3 (data), but the contents of sdc1 (ubuntu)

6. So although sdc1 (ubuntu) is unmounted, it can somehow still access itself through the fact that sdd3 (data) is mounted on '/', and the system does boot. And although sdd3 (data) is also mounted on '/e', 'ls /e' is equivalent to 'ls /'.

7. Below is the relevant snippet from my fstab, which is also visible in the attachment:

# / was on /dev/sdc3 during installation
#UUID=2e1992af-cf1a-4ae8-a794-bb17d855ebef / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

# after adding new hard drives and moving partitions / is currently on /dev/sdc1...

#/dev/sdc1 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
#UUID=0b235ad9-522e-46e1-abc0-96d607ffa3ee / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
LABEL=ubuntu / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# ...and /dev/sdc3 is now called /dev/sdd3 and contains data...
#/dev/sdd3 /e ext3 defaults,rw 0 0
#UUID=2e1992af-cf1a-4ae8-a794-bb17d855ebef /e ext3 defaults,rw 0 0
LABEL=e /e ext3 defaults,rw 0 0
#...the command above doesn't work. ls /e shows contents of / and gparted shows: 8. The first line shows that ubuntu was on /dev/sdc3 during installation. I cannot remember why this is, but prior to installing the new hard drive ubuntu was installed on /dev/sdb1 and was booting normally while '/' was mapped UUID=0b235ad9-522e-46e1-abc0-96d607ffa3ee (now /dev/sdc1). In other words a similar problem did not occur with /dev/sdb1 (ubuntu) and /dev/sdc3 (data) before the new hard drive was installed.

9. I have tried both uuid and labels in fstab, but this problem still persists. As it is the system is usable but I cannot access my data on drive sdd3.