PDA

View Full Version : WoW runs miserably on new Ubuntu netbook

ericsimmons
January 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and running 10.04.

I installed Wine and am running WOW on a brand new 1.5 ghz / 2 gig ram netbook.

FPS is sooo bad, it's like .2 fps in starting zones. It's utterly ridiculous and the specs should be able to handle it. I don't understand what could be the problem.

Any ideas?

I8NY
January 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
2 things: is the restricted graphics driver installed? and does it have intel sucky graphics?

ericsimmons
January 15th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Intel GMA 3150 graphics. I don't know the answer to the other question

NightwishFan
January 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
World Of Warcraft is not supported by Blizzard (but generally works) on Linux/Wine platforms. The problem is Wine generally does not work well with Intel graphics, try Nvida for good results.

ericsimmons
January 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Well since we have established that Wine can't work with Intel graphics, I am still left with the problem of wanting to run WOW on this netbook. What are my other options for running WOW in Ubuntu?

I8NY
January 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
You need the graphics card/chip driver to do 3D games to start. You can check to see if you can install it or already of it in System>Administration>Additional Driver. Since it is intel graphics they don't have enough power to run modern games or even some old games at a descent frame rate. A netbook was not made for gaming so don't try too hard trying to get it to run games. (2D ones are fine)

Elfy
January 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
move to wine forum

cwwilson721
January 16th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Well since we have established that Wine can't work with Intel graphics, I am still left with the problem of wanting to run WOW on this netbook. What are my other options for running WOW in Ubuntu?Short answer:None

Long answer: NNoonnee

wog
January 16th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I got better frame rates after I turned off the virtual desktop. Of course, it's still a little on the slow side, and it takes over all my virtual screens when it runs (all wine apps do, apparently), but at least I can run and play it.

NightwishFan
January 16th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Yeah, run Wine games without compiz/unity running, use fluxbox or normal Gnome without desktop effects. With Intel you will not get far I think it has something to do with the way Wine allocates GPU memory and shaders, it works best with Nvidia.

cwwilson721
January 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Yeah, run Wine games without compiz/unity running, use fluxbox or normal Gnome without desktop effects. With Intel you will not get far I think it has something to do with the way Wine allocates GPU memory and shaders, it works best with Nvidia.It's NOT "the way wine allocates" ANYTHING.

It's the sub-par implementation of opengl in the Intel chip and the drivers.

Newest Intel graphics can run the game (The newest Intel CPUs aren't bad), but overall, Intel + WoW + wine = TERRIBLE.

Since it's a combo of hardware and drivers, you're fairly up the creek. About all you can do about it is:

Turn off Compiz
Use opengl
Turn EVERYTHING as low as possible
Even turn off sound.

For how to do all of the above, search this forum. TONS of posts about all of it.

Even your Intel issue.

Could've saved yourself a bunch of time by searching first.

NightwishFan
January 16th, 2011, 07:44 AM
It's NOT "the way wine allocates" ANYTHING.

Hey why the heck are you yelling at me. I know it is Intel or it would work evenly on all drivers, hence why I recommended Nvidia. I am a full time Intel gpu user I know full well it gives me less than nothing.

I cant find the article, but I know for a fact there is only so many blocks of something on the gpu, and wine needs to allocate so many for some use, and games think all of them are free. If I find it I will tell you.

cwwilson721
January 16th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Hey why the heck are you yelling at me. I know it is Intel or it would work evenly on all drivers, hence why I recommended Nvidia. I am a full time Intel gpu user I know full well it gives me less than nothing.

I cant find the article, but I know for a fact there is only so many blocks of something on the gpu, and wine needs to allocate so many for some use, and games think all of them are free. If I find it I will tell you.
Because you're wrong. The issue is NOT wine, it is lousy opengl implementaion of the chip and driver. wine just uses opengl. It doesn't control the hardware.

NightwishFan
January 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I am not wrong. Wine converts DirectX calls to OpenGL. That is not just "using opengl". When I find the article I am linking to you just to prove you wrong and for now I am blocking you before I say something rude (but I certainly will not regret). See I can be an uncultured nasty person as well. Why not PROVE your statement?

You will not go far in life spouting random nonsense and treating people like they are children. You have to give respect to receive it.

darkknight045
January 17th, 2011, 10:41 PM
More to the heart of the matter, a netbook running a integrated GPU will struggle with 3D accelerated games such as WoW regardless of operating system.

Intel + Wine has rarely had anything but lackluster results and Wine (or some presentation layer over it) is your only option for running WoW on Linux.

The advice given above (disable compiz/metacity, and other misc. eyecandy) will squeeze some precious fps out of the game, but your hardware is holding you back more than Wine or your OS.

tl;dr; Netbooks aren't made for gaming, be it Windows or otherwise. They can do it but don't expect high performance.

basotl
January 18th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Intel GMA 3150 graphics.

A Google search and check of forums tells me that similar speced machines get a max of 15 fps w/ Windows when graphics are set to absolute minimum.

Netbooks are not an ideal platform to game on... but if you are... at least get one of the ones with an ok GPU. I hear AMD has a few in the Netbook form factor.

a4able
January 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM
first thing i tell you a netbook is not meant for gaming
its not the problem of ubuntu
i tried to install games on windows in my netbook it sucks
1.5ghz processor and all is not enough for gaming
also you have to think of one thing you are trying to install a wiindows application in another OS
wine is not a powerful tool
it has so many errors
normally softwares wont work correctly using wine
also pls check whether you have activated the additional drivers
if not activate it and take a try

3razar3
September 7th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I am running it on a netbook with the 3150 1gb of ram and ubuntu 11.04 starting zones are a bit slow but its not as bad as that.. be sure to install the absolute latest mesa and intel graphics drivers it took most the day for me to hunt down stuff i needed in order to make it run but it does run a lot better now.. here is a link to the forum that contains the stuff i needed to add :

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?50038-Updated-and-Optimized-Ubuntu-Free-Graphics-Drivers

i think the problem is that people thing just because wine adds windows support its going to be a cut and dry windows system and it isnt. if you want to run windows software 100% like windows, run windows. otherwise you need to take the time to search search search and expect lots of trouble in the process. remember: google is your friend.

for those complaining that its a hardware issue and there is no driver support think about how you are defeating yourself.. Drivers are SOFTWARE that allows the OS to communicate with hardware.. thus its not a hardware issue its a software issue.. where there's a will there IS a way

cwwilson721
September 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Windows will run WoW "okayish" on an Intel chip using D3D.

Linux/wine/OpenGL will, on VERY RARE OCCASIONS, get to run WoW at all on an Intel chip.

As far as "integrated" goes, wait on the new AMD 'APUs'. It will run WoW great.

Bottom line:

If you have Intel Graphics, forget about a reliable, playable WoW experience in Linux/wine. It will be BARELY usable in Windows.

_d_
September 7th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Windows will run WoW "okayish" on an Intel chip using D3D.

Linux/wine/OpenGL will, on VERY RARE OCCASIONS, get to run WoW at all on an Intel chip.

As far as "integrated" goes, wait on the new AMD 'APUs'. It will run WoW great.

Bottom line:

If you have Intel Graphics, forget about a reliable, playable WoW experience in Linux/wine. It will be BARELY usable in Windows.

Couldn't agree more here. My laptop is Intel integrated graphics and when playing WoW on Windows I would get ~25 FPS on lowest possible settings.

Now I tried that on Ubuntu (I believe it was back when 10.04 first came out), WoW was pretty much unplayable with only ~5 FPS.

Dlambert
September 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Well since we have established that Wine can't work with Intel graphics, I am still left with the problem of wanting to run WOW on this netbook. What are my other options for running WOW in Ubuntu?

OK, here is the answer. Install FreeGLut. HERE = http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=345177 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=345177)

Then, configure wow

Data/En-us/

Open Config.wtf (note: if you don’t have the file yet, login to the game once then logout)
Add the following and save the file:Code:

SET gxApi "opengl"
SET ffxDeath "0"
SET ffxGlow "0"
SET ffxNetherWorld "0"
SET MasterSoundEffects "0"
SET SoundBufferSize "150"
SET SoundOutputSystem "1"

Now configure Wine, wine regedit

then:

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine
Right click on the folder/key ‘Wine’, select ‘New’ then ‘Key’
Name the newly created folder/key OpenGL
Select the ‘OpenGL’ folder/key
Right click on the empty space, select ‘New’ then ‘String Value’
Name the newly created string value DisabledExtensions
Right click on ‘DisabledExtensions’ and select ‘Modify’
Enter GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

Hope this helps!!!

Dlambert
September 10th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Any success?

Dlambert
September 12th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Bump

Dlambert
September 17th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Bump

_d_
September 17th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Any success?

Bump

Bump

OP of this thread:
Last Activity: April 17th, 2011

Dlambert
September 17th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Ok, well it would be nice to know the current state of his problem.