PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update problem -Package Manager

robdashu
January 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
When I click "Install" in Package Manager I get a popup box with the error:

"Failed to lock the Package Manager"

Details: The package indexes are currently changed by apt-get.

I had been having the problem that apt-get wanted to run forever. After 10 seconds or so I would end the process apt-get, and package manager would finish up. Now I have this new, different problem.

Help!

Ad@m
January 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Reboot your system and try again.

dino99
January 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
the indexes are corrupted, so close each opened app first. Then into a terminal, run:

sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*

then update upgrade again

note: inside synaptic (system admin synaptic) check that "main" server is used (for better experience)

robdashu
January 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Tried your suggestions dino99, with same problem still occurring.

Further text in the error message "Failed to lock ",etc:

Failed to lock the package manager

"Check if you are currently running another software management tool, e.g. Synaptic or aptitude. Only one tool is allowed to make changes at a time."

Are there keys somewhere telling which apps can access db?

I've been running Synaptic right along, but only on occasion, and it's certainly not actively running at the moment. Can't these two get along?

gnu_bee
January 17th, 2011, 03:21 AM
robdashu (http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=718100), I just resolved a similar problem with my Ubuntu 10.10 installation. I've been playing with it for the past two weeks and today I decided to check for updates. I opened the update manager and when I clicked the install button, I got the same error " Failed to lock the Package Manager". Earlier I had modified the system/administration menu to add "Software Sources". Once I uninstalled the "Software Sources" menu item, I was able to use the Update Manager to install the latest updates. That's what worked for me, and I hope I have been some help in resolving your problem.

robdashu
January 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks,gnu_bee. I am unable to find that "Software sources" option. I did figure out that the Synaptic Package Manager will perform the same function (apparently) as the Update Manager if one selects "Recommended updates" (or something to that effect).

So I'm just going to use the Synaptic Package Manager instead of update manager.

Does anyone know of any problems I might create going this way?

cx1964
February 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I just experienced the same problem as robdashu

"When I click "Install" in Package Manager I get a popup box with the error:

"Failed to lock the Package Manager""

I am also now forced to use Synaptic to apply new updates.

fr0d0
March 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
I have just created an empty /var/lib/apt/lists/lock file and everything is ok!:guitar:
Fedor Biryukov.

HaRabAS
April 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM
is this solved already?

zodiacdm
April 23rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have just created an empty /var/lib/apt/lists/lock file and everything is ok!:guitar:
Fedor Biryukov.

Yep, just had this problem, and Fedor's solution worked for me too.

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
sudo touch /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

Robert Lutken
September 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Fedor Biryukov.

This worked for me too

Thanks all

escorpionmex
January 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I hope this helps but this is how i fixed my problem
do : ubu@Asus:~$ sudo pgrep -l apt-get
if apt-get is running is gonna give you the process id number then do: ubu@Asus:~$ sudo kill -9 25189
in my case that was the id number of apt-get then try again doing the update it should work now it work for me