PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot of the LiveCD on asus 1015pn

YaZko
January 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hello,

First, please excuse my terrible english, but I'm French (which should not specifically be relied to bad english, obviously ;) ).

I bought a netbook asus 1015pn, which is at first under Windows 7 Starter, and I want to run it under Ubuntu exclusively.
I know the main procedure as I already did it on two computers, but here I have a problem to boot my netbook on my external CD burner : I can't find how to access to the configuration of the boot order. using del, I can configure how I want to boot Windows (safe mod, recovering, and so on...) but I can't find how to boot on any other peripheral.

Thank you a lot for any help,

YaZko.

wilee-nilee
January 14th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hello,

First, please excuse my terrible english, but I'm French (which should not specifically be relied to bad english, obviously ;) ).

I bought a netbook asus 1015pn, which is at first under Windows 7 Starter, and I want to run it under Ubuntu exclusively.
I know the main procedure as I already did it on two computers, but here I have a problem to boot my netbook on my external CD burner : I can't find how to access to the configuration of the boot order. using del, I can configure how I want to boot Windows (safe mod, recovering, and so on...) but I can't find how to boot on any other peripheral.

Thank you a lot for any help,

YaZko.

At powering on hit the esc button several times for a boot from menu or get to the bios with another key. I think it is escape for the outside of the bios boot from menu.

YaZko
January 15th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the answer but the escape button and the del one both lead to the configuration of the Windows' boot.

sikander3786
January 15th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the answer but the escape button and the del one both lead to the configuration of the Windows' boot.
Do you actually see a Bios screen when you power on your Notebook? Doesn't it list some options/hints on how to get to the Bios?

YaZko
January 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Well, I don't see any list of option as I usually do. My only one chance to act before Windows is the very first seconds when I only see a tiny line , like a "-", in the top left corner.
Maybe is there anything to configure so that I could effectively access to the BIOS?

sikander3786
January 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Start the system and press <F2> on bootup to show the POST
screen. Press <F2> again to enter the BIOS setup.

This is what I found in one of the Asus manuals. You need to press <F2> 2 times to get to the Bios menu. Hope it helps.

YaZko
January 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thank you so much, it actually works! Looks like I simply tried every time too late, or only one time I dunno, but thanks again!

YaZko.

wilee-nilee
January 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM

Right and if you have a external USB CD reader or thumb plugged in it shows up there correct?--if so boot it, to do your install.

tauras911
March 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a Asus 1015pn as well. I loaded win7 on it. I wanted to ghost the finished build, but could not get it to boot from my usb, even after updating the bios to the lastest version and setting bios to boot from devices (I think it called it). There were 3 options in the bios boot, hard drive, cd, and devices. I chose devices 1st.

Thanks for the tip about tapping the esc button on startup. With my usb drive in the right USB slot, it asked me which I wanted to boot. The options were USB and Hard drive.

I am ghosting from usb at the moment.

Thanks all!

T