PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot Error after Fresh Install and Updates - Ubuntu

whitlecj
January 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I installed ubuntu 10.10 last night on my laptop. Installation went well and I had updates to install after the install from the disk. After installing the updates, every time I boot up the machine, I see an error message while ubuntu is starting up before it gets to the splash screen. Ubuntu boots up fine and seems to work fine but I was just concerned about the error and didn't know if there is anything I can do to correct it. The error is only on the screen for a split second but it says something like "Fatal: could not load lib modules 2.6.35 ..." It has this message displayed twice (on 2 lines) but again it is only up for a split second. Any ideas on what this could be?

Rubi1200
January 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

How did you install Ubuntu and what other operating systems are on the computer?

whitlecj
January 14th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I installed from the live cd. This is the only operating system on this computer.

whitlecj
January 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I installed it from the live cd and this is the only operating system on this computer. thanks.

whitlecj
January 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I installed it from the live cd and this is the only operating system on this computer. thanks.

whitlecj
January 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM

whitlecj
January 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry for the duplicate posts. Not sure if the site was having a problem when posting or if it was on my end. Sorry

Rubi1200
January 15th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Sorry for the delayed response; it seems the forum is experiencing some kind of overload.

What I suggest is the following; if Ubuntu is booting normally except for the messages, try looking in the logs for references and post it here.

For example, in the terminal:

egrep -e fatal /var/log/dmesg

egrep -e modules /var/log/syslog

You can also play around with other search parameters.