View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing themes in ubuntu

raac
January 14th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hello guys,
does anyone know how to install themes from the website gnome-look.org

I liked this theme

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/White%3F!?content=62968

but I don't know how to install it.

I tried going to system->preferences->appearance and then clicked on install and select the tar file, but all it does is changing the color of windows and panels. I doesn't install the theme

Help please

Frogs Hair
January 14th, 2011, 01:46 AM
1. Download theme and save .
2. Open downloads folder.
3. Open appearance preferences .
4. Drag the theme package to appearance preferences and drop
5. select new theme(if the theme doesn't appear use customization tab to locate the control and
window border and select them.)
5. Download wallpaper by right clicking the image and save to pictures.
6. Right click image and set as desktop background.

There are many ways to install themes , this will work for theme you have chosen.

raac
January 14th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I tried to drag it and drop on appearance table and i got an error saying

Installation for theme "White" failed

Can't move directory over directory

Does the instructions you just gave me make the bottom panel and menu change like in this link's picture?

http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=62968&file1=62968-1.jpg&file2=62968-2.jpg&file3=62968-3.jpg&name=White%3F!

Frogs Hair
January 14th, 2011, 02:55 AM
That means the theme is installed . Open Appearance Preferences to the themes tab and select customize.

When the control tab opens , locate and select the control for your theme from the list . Next go to window border tab and locate and select the window border.

Sometimes themes don't appear in the main window of Appearance Preferences and you locate them using the customize tab.

raac
January 14th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Thanks frogs hair. I'm learning a lot. But still it does not change the panel to (Windows-like menu) as in the attachment. By customizing it changes colors, icons, pointers, window borders.

Sorry for the repeated replies, I thought the server was down and I kept clicking on "submit"

Frogs Hair
January 14th, 2011, 03:17 AM
You can can add a menu to the top or bottom panel by right clicking either panel and selecting add to panel.

A menu with all the applets will appear and you can add what you wish. From the screenshot , it looks like the top panel was deleted and the menu was added to the bottom panel. This needs to be done manually , installing the theme won't change that configuration for you.

raac
January 14th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Thanks a lot Frogs Hair.

I went to add panel option, and there is a item called main menu, and it's a Windows-Like Menu I added it to the panel and DONE!!

Thanks again

Frogs Hair
January 14th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Your Welcome :D