PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] when I hit places->home folder a "real player" opens

karpay
January 13th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Hi all,

a few days ago I installed the real player software. But it formed another problem for me.

The problem is as follows:

When I hit Places -> Home Folder

I'm expecting for my operating system to open a file roller. However, it opens a real player application.

What is wrong?

I do not understan why this is happening?

Any help is kindly appreciated...

Best regards...

Frogs Hair
January 13th, 2011, 11:49 PM
This refers to a different application but may help . I have not used Real Player on Ubuntu.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10316525#post10316525

karpay
January 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi FrogsHair,

Thank you for your reply. I checked the thread but it does not answer my question.

Because, I am having a problem in the "Places" menu. As you know the items of the "Places" menu has Home Folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Picture, Videos, Downloads, Computer ...vs

I'm having this problem when I hit one of "Home Folder", "Desktop", "Documents", "Music", "Picture", "Videos", "Downloads" items. Real player opens when I both right click or left click.

How can I solve this problem? I want "Picture" folder to open rather than real player when I hit the "Picture" item.

I belive, I have to edit my "places" menu. How can I do it?

What actually happens when I hit the "Places" menu, in terms of terminal commands ? Maybe this shall give me a clue.

Best regards...

Ziadance
January 14th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi there,
I'm having the same problem, everything in 'places' open with a media player except 'computer'.

I'll post you if I find the solution ;o)

karpay
January 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Yes!

Exacly the same. Except the "computer" it opens real player...

Ziadance
January 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hey this thread worked for me ;o)

You'll have to open a 'terminal'
(applications-accessories-terminal)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1645120&highlight=home+folder+opens+music+player

karpay
January 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Ziadance,

Thank you for your reply!

It worked.

Best regards...

Frogs Hair
January 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hi FrogsHair,

Thank you for your reply. I checked the thread but it does not answer my question.

Because, I am having a problem in the "Places" menu. As you know the items of the "Places" menu has Home Folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Picture, Videos, Downloads, Computer ...vs

I'm having this problem when I hit one of "Home Folder", "Desktop", "Documents", "Music", "Picture", "Videos", "Downloads" items. Real player opens when I both right click or left click.

How can I solve this problem? I want "Picture" folder to open rather than real player when I hit the "Picture" item.

I belive, I have to edit my "places" menu. How can I do it?

What actually happens when I hit the "Places" menu, in terms of terminal commands ? Maybe this shall give me a clue.

Best regards...

The link in the thread is a method to reset the default application for opening the folders on the places menu . I don't know how the default was changed. By creating a folder on the the desktop you can reset the default application without opening a folder on the places menu.

Frogs Hair
January 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Here is a screen shot of the default applications list that appears when I right click the folder I created and selected open with another application.

You can delete the folder when finished.

Ziadance
January 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Hey
Glad it worked and that we both had our miner irritations solved.
This is a great site ;o)