PDA

View Full Version : The proposed merger between Comcast and NBC Universal

Cavsfan
January 13th, 2011, 10:04 PM
If this deal goes through, it will be a sad day for net neutrality.
The FCC and the and Department of Justice are set to allow Comcast and NBC Universal to merge and this would not be good.
Check out this video by former comedian and US Senator Al Franken and what he has to say about it:
http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/splash/fccopenletter (http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/splash/fccopenletter)
These are two of the biggest companies and they will probably get their way unless enough people step up to fight this.

madjr
January 13th, 2011, 11:30 PM
how exactly will this effect net neutrality?

Merk42
January 14th, 2011, 03:40 AM
how exactly will this effect net neutrality?That was my first thought too.

CraigPaleo
January 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I have Comcast and if they want to cut NBC Universal programs from competitors so they are the only provider and charge me exorbitant prices to see them , I'll switch to Fios. I also agree that it doesn't have anything to do with net neutrality but more to do with Cable TV.

aysiu
January 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM
how exactly will this effect net neutrality?
How will this bring about net neutrality?

CraigPaleo
January 14th, 2011, 07:34 AM
How will this bring about net neutrality?

Does net bias even exist?

piquat
January 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hmmm, let's see.... Comcast and Universal... do they own Netflix/Voodoo ect.? I don't believe so. So here's the danger. I, right now, am considering getting rid of my cable TV and going with Netflix, since I don't watch much TV anyway. So, I'll be canceling my cable TV, less money to Time Warner in this case. But at the same time I'm going to be using my Time Warner internet connection a lot more because of the streaming.

Do you seriously not see a conflict of interest here?!?!

"Gee, all these people are switching to Netflix. Whatever will we do?"
"Ahhhhh, what if we just slow down Neflix a little? Everybody will see it's garbage and go back to cable."

Edit: Another way to look at it is your basically asking the cable companies to give you access to a product, streaming video, that undercuts them. You think they're not going to at least TRY to put a stop to it?

CraigPaleo
January 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Now you're making it a cable TV vs Internet TV situation. If Comcast wanted to slow down Netflix streaming, it could do so without the acquisition of NBC Universal.

If I used Netflix streaming instead of Cable TV, and Comcast did slow down Netflix, I'd drop Comcast for Fios or whatever else is available in my area.

piquat
January 14th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Now you're making it a cable TV vs Internet TV situation. If Comcast wanted to slow down Netflix streaming, it could do so without the acquisition of NBC Universal.

If I used Netflix streaming instead of Cable TV, and Comcast did slow down Netflix, I'd drop Comcast for Fios or whatever else is available in my area.

You'd just be moving to the next company that will see it the same way. These companies want to sell you cable TV AND internet. You think they're happy about having to sell you a product that allows you to basically pass on the other thing they sell?

This isn't a cable TV vs. internet situation because there isn't much separation anymore, and the separation will get less and less as time goes on.

Cable TV is dying, just like music you buy at a brick and mortar store. The big media companies don't want to see that happen. Since they control one thing that brings you the other, they're about as conflicted as you can get.

piquat
January 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM

You'd just be moving to the next company that will see it the same way. These companies want to sell you cable TV AND internet. You think they're happy about having to sell you a product that allows you to basically pass on the other thing they sell?

This isn't a cable TV vs. internet situation because there isn't much separation anymore, and the separation will get less and less as time goes on.

Cable TV is dying, just like music you buy at a brick and mortar store. The big media companies don't want to see that happen. Since they control one thing that brings you the other, they're about as conflicted as you can get.

Edit: I do agree though, acquiring Universal doesn't increase their bias, it was there all along.

piquat
January 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM
For some reason, edits always time out. Tried to go back and do it and I ended up with a double post. Sorry!

CraigPaleo
January 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Edit: I do agree though, acquiring Universal doesn't increase their bias, it was there all along.

What does that have to do with the merger? If Road Runner buys Disney, what would that have to do with anything?

Both NBC Universal and Disney have cable TV shows and movies with several providers. They're also delivered via Internet means for a price. If they're blocked or slowed via Internet access, people will stop paying for it and possibly drop that ISP.

It'd be a different story if any one company had a monopoly on both cable TV and the Internet.

Johnsie
January 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
More companies getting too big.

CraigPaleo
January 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I think supply and demand would have done it but relax...The FCC has.

Report: FCC Chair Sets Conditions for Approval of Comcast-NBC

Comcast (NASD: CMCSA) would be compelled to provide TV shows to rival online services, and agree be bound by open Internet conditions for a period of seven years in order to win approval of its merger with NBC (NYSE: GE) from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

FCC chairman Julius Genachowski reportedly listed the requirements during a meeting on Dec. 23, in which he urged fellow FCC commissioners to approve the deal should Comcast meet the requirements.

Comcast would reportedly be required to adhere to open Internet standards -- such as not blocking or placing caps on Internet content or usage -- regardless of whether such regulations are imposed more broadly

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2011/01/13/report-fcc-chair-sets-conditions-approval-comcastnbc

Cavsfan
January 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I remember Al Franken has been trying to keep the internet neutral here in the US.
Did any of you making comments that this doesn't mean anything even watch the video?
If you didn't, you shouldn't be posting your opinion because this is all about what Al is saying in the video.

Does corporate control of the media and access to the internet have anything to do with net neutrality?
One would certainly think so. This first deal that AL is talking about combines Comcast - the single largest
cable and internet service provider with NBC Universal - one of the biggest TV and movie studios.

The same company would own the content and the pipes that deliver that content. That cannot be good!
And if this deal goes through, it won't be long before other deals do also.

Comcast already tried to kill off Netflix online video streaming. I love Netflix streaming video and do not want to
see some corporate giant squeeze Netflix's access to the internet. And I believe this deal could do just that.

Let's keep this conversation civil. I just posted it here because I thought some people here in the US might be
interested in trying to help put a stop to this merger.
As Al says, there are big money lobbyists convincing the FCC and the congress that this merger would be a good deal for consumers.

And you know the one with the most money usually wins. As far as I know, there are no one lobbying against this proposal because there is no money in that route.

If you agree with what Al Franken is saying in the video, please sign the petition. You don't have to donate any money if you do not want to.
But, just maybe if enough people sign this petition, we can stop this merger and possibly prevent others like it.

Peace :D

Cavsfan
January 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, let's see.... Comcast and Universal... do they own Netflix/Voodoo ect.? I don't believe so. So here's the danger. I, right now, am considering getting rid of my cable TV and going with Netflix, since I don't watch much TV anyway. So, I'll be canceling my cable TV, less money to Time Warner in this case. But at the same time I'm going to be using my Time Warner internet connection a lot more because of the streaming.

Do you seriously not see a conflict of interest here?!?!

"Gee, all these people are switching to Netflix. Whatever will we do?"
"Ahhhhh, what if we just slow down Neflix a little? Everybody will see it's garbage and go back to cable."

Edit: Another way to look at it is your basically asking the cable companies to give you access to a product, streaming video, that undercuts them. You think they're not going to at least TRY to put a stop to it?

Thank you piquat! My point exactly!