PDA

View Full Version : Lotteries and Probabilities

mr-woof
January 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evening all,

Something a bit different for a Thursday night :)

In the UK we can bet in the bookmakers on numbers that come out in the Irish Lottery and get different odds for the different amounts of numbers, so it's something like 1 number - 6/1, 2 numbers 57/1, 3 numbers 575/1 etc etc.

As a bit of an experiment I'm going to have a go with some numbers, now with the irish lottery you can bet on three draws not just the one. So I've been messing around with some probabilites tonight for betting on one draw and (if my calculations are correct) it's 8'145'060 to 1 to get all 6 balls and win the lottery.

Again I think that the probability of you matching two balls in one draw is 12%, now here is my question.

If I was to do two numbers in draw 1 and then draw 2, how does this effect the probability? On a normal lottery draw, buying two tickets would increase the odds but you've still go no chance but here I'm betting on these two specific numbers coming out in two draws, so does that increase the chances?

I hope that makes sense, yours confused Mr-Woof :)

bouncingwilf
January 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
If I understand you correctly it's analogous to the old " if I toss 49 straight heads with no tails, what are the odds on the next flip being tails?"

Answer 50:50

Bouncingwilf