PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Pogo , Java probs and a slow machine ?

ceref
January 13th, 2011, 06:10 PM
After months of enjoying Ubuntu my old laptop (512MB ram) started run slow .. Pogo was really "iffy" and grey screens slow slow gaming forget it. I down loaded 10.10 and boy did it bring my machine to its death. BUT I just found a great all in one easy but sensible fix.

I found "Bleach Bits" in the repository loaded it (just made it) and configured it to clear caches including system, logs, rotated logs as well as cookies etc. "Vacuumed" my browser (Firefox) for keeping fave's etc, and hit remove.

It cut my RAM demand by 30% and freed up 2.3 GB capacity. I had run the other "cleaners" but did not do anything like Bleach Bit has. Just read the instructions and hand pick exactly what you need.

PLUS our wired machine Internet sharing is up and running sweet.

Long live Ubuntu and Bleach Bits :popcorn:

shadowfax1
January 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
pre.cjk { font-family: "DejaVu Sans",monospace; }p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } This worked for me..

system>administration>synaptic package manager Then choose settings>repositories>othersoftware Make sure the two boxes Canonical Partners is checked..Close In the search window Synaptic PM) type 'java6 Then go through each one of these and mark for installation sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre Scroll down sun-java6-plugin sun-java6jdk

Also in Firefox make sure the 'icetea' plugin is unchecked

johntaylor1887
January 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I could never get pogo to work in ubuntu, so I just load up windows in virtualbox for this.