PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Neither firefox nor chrome after update

arnaldo
January 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I am using maverick. Since yesterday update, I can't get either firefox (3 or 4) or google-chrome up. All of them bail out with the same message:

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 583: _dl_open: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!

Meanwhile, all other desktop applications seem to be working correctly.

What could be the cause?

tommcd
January 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Rename ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.bak, and then relaunch Firefox. It is possible that your FF profile has been corrupted by a rogue addon, or something else that you have done to your system.
This is likely due to something that you have done to cause this.

arnaldo
January 15th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I had tried that already. I even created a new account, end the problem persists. Anyway, it happens both with firefox and chrome.

I also did a potentialy dangerous thing and ran each browser as root. Both worked normally. So, it looks like some kind of permission thing is behind the problem, but I still have no clue.

arnaldo
January 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM
It turns out that there was a bad link for libGL.so.1; the misconfigurations was due to a hack that attempts to keep a dual graphics notebook working with either chip. What threw me off base was the fact that no other applications seemed to be affected.

dino99
January 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
remove/purge then reinstall the package (with synaptic)

arnaldo
January 18th, 2011, 04:01 PM
pliiiiiiiiiiiiz!

I posted already a hard found but simple solution to the problem.

Reinstalling is what you do when you don't understand what is going on, but is the default mindless action, which I had already undertaken.

It did not and certainly could not have solved my problem.

tommcd
January 19th, 2011, 06:28 AM
It turns out that there was a bad link for libGL.so.1; the misconfigurations was due to a hack that attempts to keep a dual graphics notebook working with either chip.
Glad you got this fixed!
I am curious though, how did you discover this?

arnaldo
January 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I kept googling for information, and a discussion in some forum suggested it may have been a library not found problem.

So I went to /opt/google and executed

ldd chrome/* | grep found

and found nothing. But then I noticed the talkplugin directory, so, what the heck

ldd talkplugin/* | grep found

and got

libGL.so.1 not found

(or something similar).

My notebook has two video cards, and activates either when booting guided by a hardware switch; a script run on boot links /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to the appropriate library. I have all this process well in mind, so as soon as libGL was mentioned, it was clear what to look for and it was trivial to repair the botched link.

ganesh3
April 7th, 2012, 05:14 PM
It turns out that there was a bad link for libGL.so.1; the misconfigurations was due to a hack that attempts to keep a dual graphics notebook working with either chip. What threw me off base was the fact that no other applications seemed to be affected.

What does this mean?

I too have the same problem with a bad link for libGL.so.1.

What do I have to do to rectify it?

Regards,

Ganesh Bhat

arnaldo
April 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
What does this mean?

I too have the same problem with a bad link for libGL.so.1.

What do I have to do to rectify it?

Regards,

Ganesh Bhat

First, you need the actual lib file; this will likely depend on which version of the distribution you use. Mine is /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 ; if you keep changing versions of this lib, say, to use an Nvidia driver, it is a good idea to keep a copy of this file elsewhere in the disk.

Under these conditions, I made this simple alias, which solves the problem, whenever it reappears:

alias glfix='pushd /usr/lib;sudo ln -sf libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so.1;popd'

Of course, it would be better to fix the script that is botching things...

ganesh3
April 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Mine too is 1.2 but there are other versions as well available in /usr/lib/ like libGL.so.1 and libGL.so along with libGL.so.1.2

I am still not clear how to resolve the problem. Pardon my inability to understand.

I tried running the alias command on command line but it did not solve the problem.

Please help further.

Thanks,

Ganesh Bhat.