PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] reinstall or just use the old system?

[Snc]
January 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hey!

I have recently found out (also in this forum), that my motherboard is simply put: "junk" (as it fails to see the 8Gigs of ram i have).

So i will buy another mobo and would like to hear from you if I should reinstall my ubuntu from scratch or try to just run the same OS as i have now (I know, in the MS world this would mean utter chaos and mobo/processor/ram/everything damage - smoke from the machine etc...).

So: How safe is it to "hot swap" hardware under Ubuntu?

cascade9
January 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Depending on what you are running, it should have no problems. I've doen a lot swapping HDDs from system to system, the only real issue is ATI/nVidia drivers (if you change from ATI or nVidia with teh closed drivers installed, it borks the system).

I'd still probably reinstall though.

;10351796']So i will buy another mobo and would like to hear from you if I should reinstall my ubuntu from scratch or try to just run the same OS as i have now (I know, in the MS world this would mean utter chaos and mobo/processor/ram/everything damage - smoke from the machine etc...).

You'd be suprised. I've got away with it a few times, normally its OK as long as you move 'forward' (ie from pentium 3 to pentium 4). Still, with windows its always going to have leftout cruft, so I would always reinstall.

[Snc]
January 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Dependign on what you are running, it should haev no problems. I've doen a lot swapping HDDs from system to system, the only real issue is ATI/nVidia drivers (if you change from ATI or nVidia with teh closed drivers installed, it borks the system).

I'd still probably reinstall though.

You'd be suprised. I've got away with it a few times, normally its OK as long as you move 'forward' (ie from pentium 3 to pentium 4). Still, with windows its always going to have leftout cruft, so I would always reinstall.

Ok, ill go for the reinstall then, since it is the only 100% way to be sure :)

Is there any way to move my personalized settings to the new install? Compiz, Nautilus modifications, boot screen modifications, logon screen modifications, wifi settings, ...?