PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have you seen the music player of my dreams ?

sebpiq
January 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hi all !

I am looking for a good music player for Ubuntu, but I have special requirements ...

I have tried already a few ones (vlc, amarok, exaile, ...), and I couldn't find what I was looking for ...

I have a big music library, and I don't know 90% of the artists (because I got all the music form friends). What I am dreaming of is a music player that would act a little like last.fm... I just import this library, then it plays stuff, I tag them, "like" or "unlike" them, and then, I can just start a radio, and it will play intelligently according to my tags ... And of course I want a veeeeeery simple interface !
Can someone make my dream come true :( ?

kellemes
January 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Take a look at Jajuk (http://jajuk.info/index.php/Jajuk_Advanced_Jukebox), I've been using it for years..
It has so called Ambiences (http://jajuk.info/index.php/Ambience_walkthrough) that enable you to bind a set of music-genres and plays it using your collection.. so Ambiences don't work with radio in this case.

sebpiq
January 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Looks nice indeed ... But a little complicated.

cchhrriiss121212
January 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I like Quod Libet, very simple to use, lightweight and handles large libraries well. The bonus is the plugin section which includes:
Audioscrobbler Submission
Last.fm sync
These two plugins should perform the same features that last.fm does automatically, then you just need to change playback to random.

nothingspecial
January 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Guayadeque has a label function that would allow you to "like or unlike" tracks aswell as scrobbling to lastfm and aton of other features.

http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php?p=/wiki/page/home

lewisage
January 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
To find the music player of 'your dreams'! you have to use 3 or 4 and to chose then the best one! try with XMMS, Amarok, or Rhythmbox and tell us! but be careful XMMS and Amarok need good RAM!

sebpiq
January 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Wooow !!! I have tried a few of your suggestions, and I am stuned by Guayadeque !!! It is really great, and definitely what I was looking for ! I just imported my library, I clicked on a song, and than it generated a queue with similar songs (based on last.fm data), when last song in the queue is reached more songs are fetched ... + I can tag the songs really easily .... really nice :popcorn: !!!
Thanks !!!

Xlorep DarkHelm
January 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I personally have been using Logitech's Squeezebox Server, and then wrote my own playlist generator that looks into the Squeezebox Server's MySQL database, and generates a playlist based on specific conditions (like least-recently-played, or for new/never played music least-recently-added, least-often-played, and random selection), broken down based on category which I tagged all my music with, and the rating I assigned each song. I then am able to stream the music to my computer at work and listen to it at my leisure. I simply am able to go into the Squeezebox Server web interface and change the rating of the song if I like it (5 stars), or never want to hear it again (0 stars), or anywhere in-between (I typically assign an entire album based on what I believe to be how much I may or may not like the album/artist).

However, I'm now slowly beginning the process to convert from Squeezebox Server to Ampache.