PDA

View Full Version : Running 10.4 Netbook interface on Maverick

Cybertrash
January 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hey.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but my searches have ran me into a bit of a dead end.

I'm a new user of Ubuntu, installing it on my Netbook just a few weeks ago. And I've been a bit... lost, to say the least.

I started out with 10.10 Netbook, and whilst I liked most programs and features, the Unity interface was not up my alley, I found it too sluggish and it came off as only half-done.

So, I went back a release, to 10.4, and the Netbook interface was great, it was easy to understand, responsive and well-designed. However, I was missing the updated applications of 10.10. I tried looking around to see if there was a way to update e.x. Ubuntu Software Center to the same version as 10.10, but such was apparently not the case.

So, back to 10.10 I went, with a single purpose in mind, to install the 10.4 Netbook environment, after all the sky's the limit with Linux, right?

Lo and behold, after some google-fu, I'm told that I can only use the beta-looking Ubuntu Netbook 2D environment.

So now I come here, wondering, is it really so that I can not install the 10.4 Netbook environment in 10.10? I really liked it, and I'd like to be updated, but still be able to use the interface of my choice...

Cheers

Cybertrash
January 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Anyone? Please?

Cybertrash
January 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Bump?

Patthebrat
February 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM
Looking for the same thing. I want to upgrade my 10.4 but I want to keep the interface. I'm not too exited about the new look either.

wateenellende
April 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Absolutely agree.

The netbook interface of 10.4 was simply outstanding, I showed it of to Mac-users. How often did a linux-user get to do that in the last 18 years ?

The new interfaces are, IMHO, a big step back, both 10.10 and 11.04beta really do not come close.

Please please /please/, if there is a way to get the 10.04 interface back, tell us how!

wateenellende
April 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Lo and behold! When you log in, select at the bottom "Ubuntu Netbook 2D", and the 10.04 interface is back!

wateenellende
April 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Oh, you'll need to do:
sudo apt-get install netbook-launcher-efl
before the "Ubuntu Netbook 2D" interface is available in the login screen.

goodbyemrevans
May 15th, 2011, 09:35 AM
this is great! I came to ubuntu on netbook remix 10.10, and didn't even realize that my interface was new and controversial. it was slow, though... this is quite quick and imo easier to use.