PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE apps

hornetster
January 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Probably sounds like I'm whinging, but....
How can I get Gnome to play nicely with KDE apps? Have been running Ubuntu for a couple of weeks now, and quite like it, but have a few probs..
Would like to be able to run a couple of apps, namely Amarok and Digikam (KDE apps), and although they both initially installed OK, they both seem to have slowly "broken". Amarok still runs, but bringing up the GUI, none of the panels are working ie can't clear/edit the playlist, can't select any music in the list to add to the playlist (but if I click on enough things in the collection, something may randomly start playing??), etc and yet I can use the menus...
Digikam just won't run anymore - crashes on loading. (Application: digiKam (digikam), signal: Segmentation fault)

Also, how can I change my file manager to something else? (Dolphin?? Don't like Nautilus..)
Thanks, John.

kellemes
January 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Not whining at al..

Is there informative output when running these apps from a terminal-window? Can you post the output please?

Also.. is running the full KDE-experience an option (Kubuntu for example), instead of working from Gnome?

jbonll05
January 17th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I have installed digiKam in Ubuntu 10.10; dolphin took over and is in system tools. Also "my pictures" is blank and I can not access them. Dolphin only works with digikam. If I open the installed Picasa3 all of "my pictures" are there. I can not get "my pictures" up; however from the desktop I can open a folder of pictures with Picasa3 and they stay in Picasa3.
I am dual booting with Vista, wubi, and Ubuntu 10.10, this should not cause any problems in a booted Ubuntu 10.10.
It may not be time to run KDE apps in Gnome.
jbonll05

malspa
January 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I've been running a number of KDE apps in GNOME for quite some time, in a couple of different distros, but without problems. Maybe the problem here isn't a KDE/GNOME issue?