PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 10.10 not loading

mervad08
January 13th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I originally had debian 4.0 on my laptop.I tried to upgrade to 9.04??? but did not load correctly.I then downloaded ubuntu 10.10 onto a cd.I he trid to load this into my laptop.The programme only goes so far then stops.I think I may need to clear my hard drive completely and need a disc to do this thus enabling me to load Ubuntu 10.10 on.I am a beginner with this so need helpand advice desperately
Robert

Quackers
January 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
You say the installer only goes so far then stops. Please give more details about this.
As far as wiping everything out on the disc, the installaer will do that if you choose to use the whole disc for Ubuntu installation.

mervad08
January 14th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Starts loading
then reads "stdin error"
This is followed by several entries either cannot execute or error on ?//
several unable to read page or unable to read data
"authentication failure"
SQUASHFS error unable to read page 484.656896]
SQUASHFS error unable to read data 484.6569551

Stops loading at this point

Quackers
January 14th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Have you checked the MD5SUM of the downloaded iso file?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
If that checks out ok, boot from the cd/usb again and press the Esc key before the purple screen. You will get a screen with a language choice, make a choice then on the next screen you will have some choices. Choose the one that checks the cd for errors.

mervad08
January 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I do not seem to be able to do the md5 check.On going to disc error check,it indicates several errors.As I copied this disc when using the original debian programme,I must hae picked up the errors then.How can I obtain an uncorrupted disc of 10.10 as I now have no means of downloading one.I am having to use another persons pc,due to this problem and they cannot download to disc.

dino99
January 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
on the boot line (F6), add either: acpi=off or ide=nodma

note: when burning, always use the slowest speed

mervad08
January 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
thanks,but i do notknow how to do either of your suggestions.After loading up to the staed point (in my lst message)the screen is blank and I cannot get anything
Robert

mervad08
January 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM
thanks,but i do notknow how to do either of your suggestions.After loading up to the staed point (in my lst message)the screen is blank and I cannot get anything
Robert