PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Problem in Upgrading Ubuntu 10.10

bhubi2020
January 13th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I had upgraded Ubuntu 10.10 and it has completed sucessfully. I got an error message after restarting my PC. then, I cann't login and use this OS.

Error Message: " Install Problem
The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator"

sikander3786
January 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Welcome to the forums :-)

Seems like you run out of space on some of your partitions.

Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 at the login screen and login using your credentials. Then post the output of this command.

df -h

stevemidgley
January 18th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi,

I'm having the same problem as the OP. Disk space is not a problem for me (at least). For the device in question, here's the df -h result:

/dev/sda1 142G 7.3G 127G 6% /media/disk

(The rest of the results aren't relevant b/c I'm booted into an external media linux install)

Thanks for any insights into what might be wrong.. Thanks.

stevemidgley
January 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I'm having the same problem as the OP. Disk space is not a problem for me (at least). For the device in question, here's the df -h result:

/dev/sda1 142G 7.3G 127G 6% /media/disk

(The rest of the results aren't relevant b/c I'm booted into an external media linux install)

Thanks for any insights into what might be wrong.. Thanks.

cmwslw
January 25th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Any updates for this? I turned on my computer today and received the error above and could not login to my desktop. I got this error twice and on the third time I tried restarting the problem is now so bad that I don't even see an error message or a minimal login screen. It just stops at the Ubuntu 10.10 screen with the four dots below it. My last update was on the 20th. I did not turn on my computer after the 20th until two days ago, on the 22nd. There were also no problems yesterday on the 23rd.

sigh

IMPORTANT EDIT: I did end up finding a fix for this here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10394907#post10394907

go to the end and read my latest post.

stevemidgley
January 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM
For me it turned out to be xwindows config file settings. I commented out all the custom lines there that I had added (and strangely had been working but for whatever reason stopped working recently). I was able to reboot and get back into my primary OS. My solution seems pretty different from everyone else's so I wouldn't propose this as a general fix but I thought I should update the thread.