PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I start the computer........then it shuts down automatically

qazws
January 13th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Since i installed the Ubuntu Lucid, my computer just shuts down if it "thinks too hard". If i start a simulation game it shuts down, or if i put in a CD, you hear the whir of the disc then next thing you know is that the computer is shuting down. I installed this browser called Chromium from the Ubuntu Software Center, when i run it, like 15 minutes later the computer shuts down( right now im using Firefox, it happens on firefox but its rare). When im downloading a debian package and i press "Install Package" , what do you know! its shutting down

Its getting annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sikander3786
January 13th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Welcoem to the forums :-)

Regardless of the operating system, I think it is heat causing shutdowns. Please tell us more about your hardware. Is it a desktop or laptop? And specs?

If possible, clean all the air vents with air and also the processor heat sink.

qazws
January 23rd, 2011, 01:39 AM
its a dell(desktop) with intel pentium 4 designed for windows microsoft xp

cariboo
January 23rd, 2011, 03:38 AM
It sounds like your system is overheating and shutting down. Get yourself a can of air, take the side cover off, and blow all the dust from the system.

presence1960
January 23rd, 2011, 04:12 AM
It sounds like your system is overheating and shutting down. Get yourself a can of air, take the side cover off, and blow all the dust from the system.

While you have the case open check the seating of your connections from the power supply to motherbord. I had a similar problem once and found that the connector to the motherbord was not seated properly. I kept getting random shutdowns like the kind you experience. Once I seated the connector properly it never happened again.

As mentioned heat is another likely cause. After cleaning out your case, especially the fans, power up with the cover off and check your fans to make sure they are working.