PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dropbox for Ubuntu Server?

DanHorniblow
January 13th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I use dropbox to store all of my college work, however dropbox's website and application is blocked on the college network.

I have my own home web server running ubuntu server 10.10, would it be possible to install dropbox to server and then point a PHP file manager to the directory that is synced by dropbox, so I can access my dropbox files at college via my home server?

vortmax
January 13th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I don't see why not. Dropbox just reads/writes to it's configured directory, so apache (or anything running on the local system) just sees a directory with files that change from time to time (just like if you changed them on the local system). Without trying it, the only problems you may run into is with file permissions (Dropbox ownes files as <user>.<user>), but there are ways around that.

DanHorniblow
January 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Do you know if dropbox is supported in command-line OS's

ginge6000
January 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
This (http://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx) would suggest you can.

DanHorniblow
January 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I search dropbox's website for ages looking for a linux server page and never found it lol, I will have a go over the weekend :)

airtonix
January 14th, 2011, 11:26 AM
dropbox do not provide a server daemon for anyone to use.

if you want to run your own sync server check out sparkleshare.

rubylaser
January 14th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Sure they do, I have dropbox running on my Ubuntu CLI server at home. Here are directions to install it:)
http://1000umbrellas.com/2010/04/30/how-to-install-dropbox-on-a-headless-ubuntu-10-04-server

airtonix
January 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
read what i typed.

That's not a dropbox server daemon. It's just a cli client that is auto started with an init script.

airtonix
January 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM
read what i typed.

That's not a dropbox server daemon. It's just a cli client that is auto started with an init script.

airtonix
January 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM
read what i typed.

dropbox have no plans to undercut their own profit base by providing a server daemon for your own private syncing requirements.

airtonix
January 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM
read what i typed.

dropbox have no plans to undercut their own profit base by providing a server daemon for your own private syncing requirements.