PDA

View Full Version : Multi-boot iso files from USB flash drive

MoebusNet
January 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Some of you (perhaps many of you) already know about "Multisystem". For those who don't please read on.

Multisystem is an application that allows loading of multiple ISO files onto one flash drive and installs Grub bootloader to allow you to choose which ISO to run.

The home page is here http://liveusb.info/dotclear/. The page is written in French, but there is a language choice menu in the upper right that includes 52 different languages.

As for myself, I've installed Multisystem to my 16GB flash drive and placed the iso's for Mint & Puppy on it. I can choose to boot either from my flash drive.

I thought this might be something the Ubuntu community might find of interest.

gpwil1
April 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Thank you.

I was looking for an alternative to MultibootISO (now YUMI), to run under ubuntu as opposed to Window$.

drs305
April 4th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I'll take a look as well.

I've written some ISO boot guides on the forums and this would be an easy option for those that don't want to get into the details (and even for those of us that do). I'm sure a link to an automated ISO booter will be most welcome.

Thanks.

gpwil1
April 19th, 2011, 06:13 AM
yup - I'm not happy with YUMI - since now it doesn't directly run grub4dos, instead it uses syslinux directly. Which means it cant boot directly from the iso, and requires extraction.

I still use it, but only to chainload grub4dos, and use my old setup...

also, would be interested to know if puppy linux can be booted directly from iso, since all the evidence i have seen shows it has to be extracted first... can anyone confirm this?

MoebusNet
April 23rd, 2011, 10:44 PM
I'm running Lucid Puppy & Wary Puppy latest from USB. They work well for me. I've also been able to have persistent data in Puppy, but no longer do so since it seems to me to make running on different machines more complex.