PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to display output on ssh-server

ulriksvensson
January 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Hi all,

this is probably a strange question.

I have two computers both running Ubuntu 10.04. I use my laptop to ssh to the other computer. If I start for instance firefox via ssh from my laptop to have the browser showing up on the screen attached to the computer I ssh to? The computer i ssh to is better in handling graphics so I want to connect it to the TV and use my laptop as remote-control.

//Ulrik

wongo888
January 12th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Have you considered VNC?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC

vortmax
January 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM
When you use x-forwarding, the server forwards openGL commands to the client to be rendered, so it really isn't gaining you much.

I have used both virtualgl+turboVNC and freenx for running matlab remotely and they both run visualizations very smoothy, although I haven't pushed the limits. The nice think about freenx is you can run single applications through it, giving you something similar to x-forwarding, but much, much faster. I have heard talk about running virtualGL on freenx, which would honestly be pretty cool, but I haven't seen it work or attempted it myself.

If you are talking about leaving the other computer connected to the TV and just controlling it with your laptop, you will want to use X11vnc. X11vnc allows you to attach a vnc server to screen :0, so when you connect with your laptop, you get a mirror copy the desktop running on the server, allowing you to control it remotely. Video on the client will be choppy, but you will be able to manage applications and such. There are also some media apps out there that let you setup a backend on the server and connect to it remotely to control it. That would be more of a true remote control, but also more involved to setup

sj1410
January 13th, 2011, 05:40 AM
ssh -X user@server

ulriksvensson
January 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
To clarify: I want to use my laptop to start a program on the server (the other computer) and have the display on the server. If the display shows up on the laptop as well it's fine but not nessecary. I think vortmax is closest in his last sentence.

arrrghhh
January 13th, 2011, 09:20 PM
To clarify: I want to use my laptop to start a program on the server (the other computer) and have the display on the server. If the display shows up on the laptop as well it's fine but not nessecary. I think vortmax is closest in his last sentence.

Indeed. NoMachine FreeNX, X11VNC, any of these things will get the job done for ya.

Why do you have a GUI on a server tho? Seems kinda silly. Should've just installed the desktop edition :p

ulriksvensson
January 13th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Indeed. NoMachine FreeNX, X11VNC, any of these things will get the job done for ya.

Why do you have a GUI on a server tho? Seems kinda silly. Should've just installed the desktop edition :p

No, I used the term server because this computer is the one which I would ssh to. It's got the desktop edition running. So I guess I'll have look on X11VNC then. Thanks for all your help!

CharlesA
January 14th, 2011, 12:07 AM
You can just use FreeNX instead of VNC, as VNC shouldn't be exposed to the internet.

ulriksvensson
January 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
FreeNX seems pretty much impossible to get to work on Maverick.

vortmax
January 20th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'm running freenx on maverick without any problems.

I followed this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX

What problems are you having?

CharlesA
January 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I was able to get FreeNX installed and working on Maverick. The window decordations weren't visable tho.

vortmax
January 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM
It's a known bug. I connect to my freenx server with clients on windows, Kubuntu Lucid and Ubuntu Lucid. On the windows and Kubuntu machines, window decorations are drawn fine. When I connect from my laptop running Ubuntu (gnome) Lucid, I get the no boarders bug.

FWIW, if you run KDE (kubuntu desktop) on the server, you don't have the problem.

arrrghhh
January 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
It's a known bug. I connect to my freenx server with clients on windows, Kubuntu Lucid and Ubuntu Lucid. On the windows and Kubuntu machines, window decorations are drawn fine. When I connect from my laptop running Ubuntu (gnome) Lucid, I get the no boarders bug.

FWIW, if you run KDE (kubuntu desktop) on the server, you don't have the problem.

I experienced this when compiz was enabled. Is compiz enabled on your Lucid box?

ulriksvensson
January 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'm running freenx on maverick without any problems.

I followed this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX

What problems are you having?
I can't log in. I get connected to ulrik@[ip-address of server] but then it says that NX service is not available on this computer. I guess I'm not sure if the setup of the server was done correctly. When I issue
sudo /etc/init.d/freenx-server start
I get "start: Unknown job: freenx-server".

vortmax
January 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Did you run /usr/lib/nx/nx-setup? Did you get any errors?

I seem to remember having this error too, but don't remember what fixed it. I believe it was trivial though. If you can't figure it out, I can post the upstart script.

Disabling compiz doesn't seem to matter. Its an issue with metacity itself.

ulriksvensson
January 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Did you run /usr/lib/nx/nx-setup? Did you get any errors?

I seem to remember having this error too, but don't remember what fixed it. I believe it was trivial though. If you can't figure it out, I can post the upstart script.

Disabling compiz doesn't seem to matter. Its an issue with metacity itself.
Yes I've ran it without errors.

vortmax
January 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
here is my working freenx-server.conf file (in /etc/init/)

# apport - automatic crash report generation
#
# While this job is active, core dumps will captured by apport and
# used to generate automatic crash reports.

description "automatic crash report generation"

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

env enabled=1

PATH_BIN=/usr/lib/nx

pre-start script
if [ ! -e "/var/run/freenx-server" ]; then
[ ! -d "/tmp/.X11-unix" ] && mkdir -m1755 /tmp/.X11-unix/
$PATH_BIN/nxserver --cleanup
$PATH_BIN/nxserver --start
touch "/var/run/freenx-server";
else
echo "Not starting freenx-server, it's already started."
fi
end script

post-stop script
$PATH_BIN/nxserver --stop
rm -f /var/run/freenx-server
end script

If you have this file installed already, double check your $PATH_BIN. I seem to recall this is what I had to change.

I would also try and run the server directly (/var/lib/nx/nxserver -start) and see if that works. You may have to touch some log and tmp files and grant the nx user rw access to them.

ulriksvensson
January 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
here is my working freenx-server.conf file (in /etc/init/)

# apport - automatic crash report generation
#
# While this job is active, core dumps will captured by apport and
# used to generate automatic crash reports.

description "automatic crash report generation"

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

env enabled=1

PATH_BIN=/usr/lib/nx

pre-start script
if [ ! -e "/var/run/freenx-server" ]; then
[ ! -d "/tmp/.X11-unix" ] && mkdir -m1755 /tmp/.X11-unix/
$PATH_BIN/nxserver --start
touch "/var/run/freenx-server";
else
echo "Not starting freenx-server, it's already started."
fi
end script

post-stop script
$PATH_BIN/nxserver --stop
rm -f /var/run/freenx-server
end script

If you have this file installed already, double check your $PATH_BIN. I seem to recall this is what I had to change.

I would also try and run the server directly (/var/lib/nx/nxserver -start) and see if that works. You may have to touch some log and tmp files and grant the nx user rw access to them.
/var/lib/nx/nxserver doesn't exist. And my PATH_BIN is correct.

vortmax
January 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
What does "which nxserver" return? What happens if you just run "nxserver -start" ?

ulriksvensson
January 22nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
ulrik@ulrik-desktop:~$ which nxserver
/usr/bin/nxserver
ulrik@ulrik-desktop:~$ nxserver -start
NXSERVER - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.4.0)
Usage: nxserver <option>
--passwd: Change password
ulrik@ulrik-desktop:~$

vortmax
January 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
sorry, try:

sudo nxserver --start

ulriksvensson
January 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Ok, it seems the server is working. I guess there's something on the client side then. I think I don't know how to use it really. Do I have to have a user on the client called "nx"?