PDA

View Full Version : Android Live CD

sudoer541
January 12th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know if Android can boot on a computer using a Live CD?
I dont want to install any virtual machines or SDKs on my computer etc.

redrac
January 12th, 2011, 11:04 PM
http://www.android-x86.org/download

Johnsie
January 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM
+1 for the link above. It'll be interestigng to see Android 3.0 on a Live CD because it will be more geared toward larger screens than 2.x

sudoer541
January 14th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I just burned the Android Froyo on a CD and when the menu came up, I selected live cd mode and I got this message:

CPU not supported!

And then I see dots on the screen (as in loading) but nothing happens. :(

ki4jgt
January 14th, 2011, 03:27 AM
http://www.android-x86.org/download

+ 1

Lucradia
January 14th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I just burned the Android Froyo on a CD and when the menu came up, I selected live cd mode and I got this message:

CPU not supported!

And then I see dots on the screen (as in loading) but nothing happens. :(

Did you use the generic iso, IE: froyo-generic-20110101.iso

You must use this for all-purpose computers (Desktops, of all kinds, fall under this.)

Also note that it says x86 and not x86-64. There's a world of difference between the two. IE: If froyo doesn't support PAE, there's a chance of failure on an amd64 system. (Also note that the android market requires 3G Hardware.)

sudoer541
January 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Did you use the generic iso, IE: froyo-generic-20110101.iso

You must use this for all-purpose computers (Desktops, of all kinds, fall under this.)

Also note that it says x86 and not x86-64. There's a world of difference between the two. IE: If froyo doesn't support PAE, there's a chance of failure on an amd64 system. (Also note that the android market requires 3G Hardware.)

Yes, thats the one I downloaded. I burned it to a CD and I rebooted. The CD started spinning and then I got the CPU not supported error.
BTW, I also downloaded version 1.6 and I got the same message!

Is my pc too old to run Android? 0_o

ki4jgt
January 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Yes, thats the one I downloaded. I burned it to a CD and I rebooted. The CD started spinning and then I got the CPU not supported error.
BTW, I also downloaded version 1.6 and I got the same message!

Is my pc too old to run Android? 0_o

If it can't boot off of a USB, it might be. Have you tried it in virtualbox? and how much ram are you running?

***EDIT:If you're not running the setup in your sig?

sudoer541
January 15th, 2011, 04:39 AM
If it can't boot off of a USB, it might be. Have you tried it in virtualbox? and how much ram are you running?

***EDIT:If you're not running the setup in your sig?

The specs on my sig are correct.
Android works well on virtual box and its fast!
However, it does not work when I boot the pc using the Live CD. I get the "Microcode= CPU vendor not supported" error :(

Does anyone have the same error?

Edit: I used both Android 1.6 and 2.2 Generic.

Edit2: here is an pic of the error.

http://android-x86.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=8917987558766825815&name=IMAG0044.jpg&token=5a95f48d4608ec5073919b71cc8b1856&inline=1

3rdalbum
January 15th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I think Android-x86 is primarily developed by Intel for use with their Atom CPUs. Obviously, AMD is one of Intel's competitors, and Intel doesn't want AMD to profit from Intel's hard work - so that's probably why it won't boot on your CPU.

It's probably not a malicious "Check what CPU they're using and if it's AMD refuse to boot", but instead a simple "Well, we won't add the microcode that AMD's CPUs would need".

sudoer541
January 15th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I think Android-x86 is primarily developed by Intel for use with their Atom CPUs. Obviously, AMD is one of Intel's competitors, and Intel doesn't want AMD to profit from Intel's hard work - so that's probably why it won't boot on your CPU.

It's probably not a malicious "Check what CPU they're using and if it's AMD refuse to boot", but instead a simple "Well, we won't add the microcode that AMD's CPUs would need".

hhmmm....but since Android is open source, cant someone add the support for AMD.

Lucradia
January 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM
hhmmm....but since Android is open source, cant someone add the support for AMD.

Your processor says "Athlon 64"

Android is not meant to run on amd64 or x86-64, yet. There's no need to add support for it yet either.

If Athlon 64 isn't 64-bit, tell AMD that it was foolish to call such a processor as such.