PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install 10.04 on CD from the DOS prompt?

livingdog
January 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I was given an old DELL GX50, 800 MHz clock, and bought 512 (2x256) SDRAM DIMMs. I believe the HD was wiped b/c when I finally figured out to put in a Windows bootup disk in the A: drive it said that it didn't recognize the configuration of the C: drive.

Ok, so I ran FDISK from the A: and it created a partition. The floppy ran ATAPI so I have CD support. However, when I put the Ubuntu 9.04 (I have 10.04 working on a 450 MHz machine - beautiful, but slow) nothing happens.

I can see the CD, do a directory command, but it won't autorun.

What file will run the installation from DOS so that I can have a faster machine with 10 on it.

thx in advance!

mikewhatever
January 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Not quite sure why you want the installer launched from dos. Have you tried booting from the cd yet?

ronnielsen1
January 13th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Your computer's BIOS must be set to boot from CD first; otherwise, Windows will just load up again. To get into the BIOS settings, you usually have to press one of these keys during boot-up: Escape, F1, F2, F12, or Delete. Usually your computer will tell you which key to use.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Mark Phelps
January 13th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I can see the CD, do a directory command, but it won't autorun.

What file will run the installation from DOS so that I can have a faster machine with 10 on it.

thx in advance!
It simply will NOT autorun from inside DOS because it needs a graphical environment to run -- which you don't have in DOS.

Besides, you don't want it to autorun from inside Windows either, because then, it will prompt you to install INSIDE Windows -- which you probably also don't want.

The only option that will be useful is to boot from the CD and install that way.