PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I change desktop in 10.10 back to the metacity-based one in 10.04?

theWasp9
January 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hi,
I upgraded from 10.04 desktop distro to the 10.10. But the new desktop makes my laptop awfully slow. I was very satisfied with the metacity setup in 10.04, and want to change back to it. But I dont now the details of what applications includes, and how I make default.
Can anyone help?

3Miro
January 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hi,
I upgraded from 10.04 desktop distro to the 10.10. But the new desktop makes my laptop awfully slow. I was very satisfied with the metacity setup in 10.04, and want to change back to it. But I dont now the details of what applications includes, and how I make default.
Can anyone help?

By default Ubuntu uses window manager "compiz", which allows for a large variety of visual effects. You can change from "compiz" to a more basic and more resource conservative "metacity" by going to System -> Prefs -> Appearance, then Visual Effects tab and then select "No Visual Effects".

You can also try to adjust "compiz" to use less resources by installing CCSM (compiz config settings manager) from the Software Center and then turn off some of the default compiz effects.