PDA

View Full Version : windows installer for 64-bit

krisnam
January 12th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have a Ubuntu 10.10 live cd for 32-bit. However it does not work with my system--I am guessing it has something to do with having more than 4 gigs of ram.

Anyway I am wondering if there is a way to install ubuntu 10.10 64-bit with Windows 7 64-bit.

mikewhatever
January 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM
While the 32bit version might not be able to access all the RAM, it's highly unlikely that it didn't work because of that. If you want to try the 64bit cd, go ahead and don't let anyone stop you, but you can also specify what the problem was with.

Mark Phelps
January 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM
... Anyway I am wondering if there is a way to install ubuntu 10.10 64-bit with Windows 7 64-bit.

IF you install "with" Windows 64-bit, you will be installing INSIDE Windows. Is that what you want?

IF not, you need to boot from a CD and install that way.

BTW, there were some problems a while back installing MS Windows in PCs that had more than 4GB of memory -- which was solved (then) by removing the extra memory for the installation only.

But, I would think that those problems would NOT affect installing Ubuntu.

ottosykora
January 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
as it is apparently not clear what exactly you are after, you have to tell us more.
You can install any 32bit operating system on a PC with 64bit architecture, 32bit OS will simply not use the full ram, that is all.

But as you say 'with windows 64bit' this can mean you want install wubi. The installer runs under windows, the installation is then later running not under windows as many people think, but runs natively as linux, it is just using virtual disk volumes for that. But here is the problem: the files for the booting such system are not running right then, so you will be best to make sepparate partition and install ubuntu there, 32 or 64.

ottosykora
January 13th, 2011, 07:42 PM
as it is apparently not clear what exactly you are after, you have to tell us more.
You can install any 32bit operating system on a PC with 64bit architecture, 32bit OS will simply not use the full ram, that is all.

But as you say 'with windows 64bit' this can mean you want install wubi. The installer runs under windows, the installation is then later running not under windows as many people think, but runs natively as linux, it is just using virtual disk volumes for that. But here is the problem: the files for the booting such system are not running right then, so you will be best to make separate partition and install ubuntu there, 32 or 64.