PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Start a program on startup in workspace #2

nmyrick
January 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way that I can set a program to always start in workspace #2 when I log in? I have the program currently set to run at startup, so is there something I can add to the 'command' line to force it to start in workspace #2?

I also do not want the default desktop to automatically switch to workspace #2 on startup.

DanneStrat
January 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Have you tried devilspie?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Devilspie

You can find it in the repositories.

Good luck!

nmyrick
January 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I tried devilspie, but that did not work because I am running Compiz Config desktop manager. What I did find was that the following settings in Compiz made this work. Sorry I did not close this post, I was having difficutly with my connection to the Ubuntu site yesterday, so I apparently posted the same thing a few times. Here are the settings, for anyone who may want to do this in the future.

The program I was trying to place on Workspace 2 at startup was Oracle VM VirtualBox.

DanneStrat
January 13th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'm glad you got it working.

nmyrick
January 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks. I'm a computer technician, and it is really convenient to run Windows in a virtual machine on my laptop whenever I absolutely need it. Sometimes, I just need it to be able to look at the menu's as I am assisting people with the many issues that inherently come with Windows.