PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Start a program on startup in workspace #2

nmyrick
January 12th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way that I can set a program to always start in workspace #2 when I log in? I have the program currently set to run at startup, so is there something I can add to the 'command' line to force it to start in workspace #2?

I also do not want the default desktop to automatically switch to workspace #2 on startup.

3Miro
January 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM
If you are using compiz (visual effects on Normal or higher), you can install CCSM (compiz config settings manager) and play with the windows rules (I haven't actually done it myself, I just know that it can be done).

If you are using metacity (no visual effects), you can take a look at
http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie/

nmyrick
January 12th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks 3Miro, but that didn't work. It looks like it is supposed to, but as soon as I close the application and reopen it, it opens in whatever is the active workspace. I tried setting it as follows, and it looks like that should work, but it doesn't.

3Miro
January 13th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks 3Miro, but that didn't work. It looks like it is supposed to, but as soon as I close the application and reopen it, it opens in whatever is the active workspace. I tried setting it as follows, and it looks like that should work, but it doesn't.

Ignore the guy with the spam, I already reported him, the mods will remove the message.

For your problem, you need the third option:

Windows with fixed viewport.

I think compiz calls the workspaces view-ports. Actually, there doesn't seem to be a standard convention, people would use workspace, view-port, screen and the confusing one: desktop (which gets confused with machine and desktop environment).

nmyrick
January 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Thank you very much, 3Miro! That worked with the following settings for workspace 2.

nmyrick
January 13th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Thank you very much, 3Miro! That worked! Here are the settings to have this window always open in workspace #2.

3Miro
January 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Thank you very much, 3Miro! That worked! Here are the settings to have this window always open in workspace #2.

Good. If you have resolved your issue, please mark the thread as "solved".

nmyrick
January 13th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I was going to do that, but I didn't even know that those two previous posts went through. On my end, yesterday when I was trying to post things, the webpage would just sit there and say it was loading, and never looked like it loaded. Thanks again.

Ehknaton
April 24th, 2012, 10:54 PM
And how exactly did you mange that? I already have TeamViewer7 added to startup applications, but I want to start it in the second workspace.
I've done this, but it didn't work, it still starts up in the active workspace, #1.
How should I do it ?

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8001/teamviewerstartup.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/teamviewerstartup.png/)

oldos2er
April 25th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Old thread closed, please start a new thread.

"If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful."