PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates are killing me!

wkulecz
January 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Recent updates to 10.04 are killing me!

Multiple problems on multiple systems. These had been functional and reliable systems with uptimes limited by the power company or the need to reboot after an update :(

First some update broke the automatic boot into graphics mode. Had to log in manually and type startx (flashback to Red Hat 2.3), then everything works fine. Another update fixed it briefly, then another broke it again and its not come back since the last three or four update reboots :(

Next Brasero CD/DVD burning broke. I'm not a a big disk burner any more, but when I need to I need to and starting with 6.06 disk burning on Ubuntu was so easy and reliable I'd quit usisng Windows and Nero to do it. But somewhere a long the many recent updates Brasero broke and absolutely will not eject a disk or burn multiple copies. It puts up a "disk needs to be ejected" dialog box with cancel as the only option and fails to detect a manual change of disks. This used to be bullet proof. "Unmount Volume" from the desktop icon still ejects the disk so its not a hardware failure in the drive.

Finally I've posted a separate thread on this one and got zero replies, but on my multiboot system I caught up on updates before Xmas, shut it down for the holidays, and upon my return last week was greeted by a dialog box about "Nvidia driver couldn't load, running low graphics mode" along with dead mouse an keyboard. By booting in to 8.04 I was able to use the "failsafe" xorg.conf file to get the 800x600 desktop to boot, but still dead, no mouse or keyboard. Obviously its not a hardware problem as booting into 8.04, 6.06 or Windows 2000 everything works.