PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu netbook 10.10

maumaudon
January 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
i get this while installing:

can not mount /dev/logo(/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on filesystem squashfs

i assumed that was for cd rom... and am using a Samsung n130 which does not have a cdrom so i type 'exit' and it continues to the boot screen then...

target file-system doesn't have /sbin/init
no init found. try passing init=bootarg

i type init=bootarg and my installation hangs from there. any ideas?
anybody with the same problem??
has anybody tried installing Ubuntu on a Samsung netbook?
i am installing from a usb stick

mikewhatever
January 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM
It looks like the Ubuntu installation file you downloaded or the usb stick is corrupted. Try checking the installation file for errors to make sure its integrity:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM%20on%20Windows

vangop
January 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
There's some threads with similar problems, like this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1588547).
Some ppl suggest it could be not enough RAM to run the gui installer. You could try to use netbook ubuntu edition, or an alternative install iso.
All the links are on site.

maumaudon
January 12th, 2011, 05:16 PM
i have 1gb RAM. I have downloaded the unetbootin and used it to make another live usb but that hasn't worked either. let me now try the intergrity check and see what happens.

maumaudon
January 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM
i have 1gb RAM. I have downloaded the unetbootin and used it to make another live usb but that hasn't worked either. let me now try the intergrity check and see what happens.

maumaudon
January 12th, 2011, 05:19 PM

maumaudon
January 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
why would the sums be differnt and i downloaded from the site? does this mean my comp has been 'compromised?'

maumaudon
January 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
why would the sums be differnt and i downloaded from the site? does this mean my comp has been 'compromised?'

maumaudon
January 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
i downloaded it from the ubuntu site. why is it different?
what do i do to make sure i download the correct iso now?

mikewhatever
January 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Sometimes, errors happen when downloading. If the iso didn't pass the integrity check, you'd have to re-download. Use bittorent if possible to insure you get a good iso.