PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Ubuntu from CD

Biscuity
January 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hi

I had fun installing Ubuntu as the only OS on my daughter's pc & now I want to try it on my own pc.

I'd like to try running it from a CD first to check if I will have many problems with my hardware devices. I am assuming that running from a CD, Ubuntu will need to write some files directly on the hard drive for settings etc? If so, where does it put these files please?

Megaptera
January 12th, 2011, 11:43 AM
It doesn't write anything to your hard drive if you set bios to boot from CD and click on the "Try Ubuntu" option when that screen loads up early on in the process.

Biscuity
January 12th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your reply.

If it doesn't write to the hard drive, how does it install drivers for the hardware?

Megaptera
January 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry, I'm not sure. With 10.04 and 10.10 running from CD everything worked except wireless (which works fine now I've installed) but ethernet, screen, pointer and everything else just worked.

Let's see if anyone else can explain.

jonbonjovi
January 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your reply.

If it doesn't write to the hard drive, how does it install drivers for the hardware?
It just "write" the datas on the RAM memory. Once you restart/shut down the system, all those datas disappear. Your HD won't be touched, unless you want it, by saving the documents (e.g.) on it.

TheHackOps
January 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Pretty much what jonbonjovi said, but just some more info.
it has generic drivers for the "Try Me" section

also how is your daughter liking ubuntu, is it her first time using a Linux based O/S if so how is she finding it?

Biscuity
January 12th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all your help, I will try the CD on my own system later.

@TheHackOps
I was playing about with Ubuntu most of yesterday evening, so my daughter didn't get a chance to have a go. She will probably use it tonight & I will feedback her thoughts. She is used to Windows XP/Vista/7 in a LUA.

I've configured a user login for her which I think looks like a limited user - i.e. needs my password to install anything. I also found that I could adjust the menus to hide away all the serious settings stuff.

Megaptera
January 12th, 2011, 02:51 PM
If you need Parental Control for internet for her you could consider DansGuardian. Not used it myself.

http://dansguardian.org/?page=whatisdg

micheldell
January 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM
When I put my system is Ubuntu CD, and get the Ubuntu menu, click Start or install Ubuntu tries to install Ubuntu, it can not do it, because a disk error. After a child, it started Ubuntu from the CD, but I have to wait ages for it to do so. How can I immediately start from the CD?

Biscuity
January 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM
If you need Parental Control for internet for her you could consider DansGuardian. Not used it myself.

http://dansguardian.org/?page=whatisdg

Thanks for the link. I consider both OpenDNS & Dansguardian, I decided to try OpenDNS first as it is way easier to configure. :)

Megaptera
January 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the link. :)

You're welcome!:D

Megaptera
January 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM
When I put my system is Ubuntu CD, and get the Ubuntu menu, click Start or install Ubuntu tries to install Ubuntu, it can not do it, because a disk error. After a child, it started Ubuntu from the CD, but I have to wait ages for it to do so. How can I immediately start from the CD?

Hi micheldell,
You need to start a new thread of your own please.

Thanks.