PDA

View Full Version : Project suggestion related to GNU ddrescue

mips
January 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM
GNU ddrescue (http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html) is a very useful data recovery tool.

A lot of people however have never used linux & the cli and it could be daunting to them and also dangerous if they mix up drives.

Surely someone could create a GUI frontend for it that has all the options available to the utility. So first it would have an option to select the relevant drives that also displays detailed info about the drive, make, model, serial#, firmware etc which will lead to positive id. Have to small information areas at the top left & right with this info displayed all the time. Left side source drive, right side destination drive (and image location if using a image file instead)

Below the information windows you have tick options and drop down menus for the various ddrescue options/parameters.

Below this you would have a status window (the entire width) that provides the normal output ddrscue does while recovering.

The default documentation should also be available vie the main window menu.

What do you guys think?

I'm no programmer so if someone could do this it would be nice.

I'm happy & proficient using the cli but I'm thinking of those that are not.

This could possibly be further extended to include a graphical GUI for Testdisk or as a separate projectetc.

mips
January 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Bump. No replies?

Troublegum
January 13th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I would say, ddrescue does not target beginner users without CLI experience.

I used ddrescue once when a friends's harddrive crashed and he couldn't save his data. He had no clue about linux, so I booted a linux live cd and used ddrescue to create an image. I didn't expect it to have a GUI and I didn't miss it.

People who use windows and have never used linux will not use ddrescue anyway. Instead, they will ask a friend to help them.
And people who use linux and need to use ddrescue will have enough experience to handle ddrescue on the command line.
So I think, there won't be *that* much demand for a ddrescue GUI.

GabrielYYZ
January 13th, 2011, 02:41 AM
i agree with Troublegum, not every application needs a GUI and, honestly, some things are better without it (the configuration stuff for modems, IMHO)

mips
January 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I know of many people that have a linux livecd in the drawer as backup to fix things if their windows install goes wrong. More and more people are also recommending people use a livecd for recovery etc.