PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Flash videos won't play after upgrade

beelissa
January 12th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I upgraded to maverick over the weekend. Now videos won't play in my browser, like YouTube or on CBS.com or NBC.com, or embedded in Facebook (these are the ones I've tried so far).

I'm using Xfce 4.6.2 and Firefox 3.6.13. I uninstalled the Adobe Flash plugin and reinstalled it using the Ubuntu Software Center. That didn't help. I've restarted the computer also.

I'm not an absolute newbie, but I don't have a lot of experience with Linux yet.

If someone could give me an idea of how to fix this or diagnose what is wrong, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

lovinglinux
January 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Get Flash-Aid (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161939/) and run it. It will detect installed flash plugins, remove them and install the best option according to your system architecture and version. Additionally, it will apply some tweaks that should fix your problems. If you still get that issue after running Flash-Aid, then go to the extension Help tab, click the "Generate Report" button and send me the results so I can analyze your situation.

beelissa
January 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I use both Firefox and Chromium and the problem seems to be happening with both browsers, not just Firefox.

lovinglinux
January 12th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I use both Firefox and Chromium and the problem seems to be happening with both browsers, not just Firefox.

The extension runs on Firefox, but the flash installed by it works for any browser. However, if you are running Chrome 32bit, then it has it's own plugin that can be turned off.

beelissa
January 13th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Wow, thanks. This was easy to install and it seems to have fixed all my problems. Very helpful program!

lovinglinux
January 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Wow, thanks. This was easy to install and it seems to have fixed all my problems. Very helpful program!

You are welcome.