PDA

View Full Version : Can't reply to other threads in here?

psusi
January 12th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I keep getting a permission denied error trying to reply to this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1664398

I was trying to agree with the OP that leaving his post is no more unfair than leaving all the rest, and that the forum staff should remove the one or two bad posts in a thread instead of locking it, and then removing the last GOOD post that snuck in just as it was being locked.

Are you normally not allowed to post in other people's threads in this forum? Because it looked like someone else who is not a moderator already had replied there, but it won't let me.

bodhi.zazen
January 12th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I am sorry, but there is indeed a difference between closing a thread for further comment and leaving previous posts.

This is obviously a rare occurrence, but I do not see the policy changing any time soon, ie threads will typically be closed with a closing comment from the staff.

Glitches either in timing of the post, timing of the closure, server hiccups, networking issues, acts of random electrons etc will probably result in the same action of staff - posts after closure will be jailed, sorry.

I think our current policy is equally unfair to all and I really do not see any need for a change.

bodhi.zazen
January 12th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I neglected to state in my post, yes the purpose of the Resolution center is for you to discuss your account with the staff, not for you to comment on the accounts of others.

So no, please do not comment on other people posts, 99.99% of the time such comments will fall on deaf ears as we are not prepared to discuss the account of other or staff actions with you here in the Resolution Center.

Please keep in mind, what you see in the Resolution center is often a small part of the discussion and we as staff, and the OP often have other resources from PM to jailed posts to what have you.

psusi
January 12th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I think our current policy is equally unfair to all and I really do not see any need for a change.

The fact that it is unfair to all is exactly why it needs to change.

It is a shame to lock a thread that has a good discussion going on because of one bad apple. You should delete the bad post rather than lock the thread.

bodhi.zazen
January 12th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I think we shall have to agree to disagree on the "fairness" of the policy. Threads are closed with a note from staff. Hiccups may happen, and in that event, an unintended post in this case, they would be managed.

Sorry, it is not a perfect universe.

I would also remind you these are moderated forums and you agreed to such moderation when you registered your account. The alternate would be to close your account.

If you see a thread you feel should be re opened, well that is the purpose of the Resolution center. Feel free to make a request to re-open a thread and give your justification.

Most reasonable polite requests are in fact honored.