PDA

View Full Version : What kind of linux user are you?

kassetra
February 23rd, 2005, 05:36 AM
I'm asking everyone here to mark their *general* preference combination, because I think I found a trend in my research, and I'd like to get published faster!

Please specify which very generalized *group* of linux user you fit into primarily:

Linux User Style:
Engineer/Admin : you use your computer to run servers, develop server platforms, administer servers, etc.
Programmer/Hacker : you use your computer to write code, scripts, and generally tinker with code, scripts, settings, etc.
User/Artist : you use your computer to *mainly* surf the web, check email, write documents, deal with photos/graphics/music, organize and store files, etc.

Desktop Environment:
Gnome: The standard ubuntu installed desktop
KDE: another desktop environment also available

Sorry xfce/fluxbox/enlightenment/et al. users, I just don't have enough data on you yet!

Rule
February 23rd, 2005, 05:49 AM
i'm a user/artist for gnome :D

hard_i
February 23rd, 2005, 05:50 AM
i'm a user/artist for gnome :D
what a coincidence - me too :D

TravisNewman
February 23rd, 2005, 05:55 AM
big #4 for user/artist gnome

Ste
February 23rd, 2005, 06:07 AM
Looking a bit one sided at the minute.

User/artist - gnome. :)

kassetra
February 23rd, 2005, 06:09 AM
Looking a bit one sided at the minute.

User/artist - gnome. :)

Yeah, for the moment. :) I can't wait to get lots of data. heh. :)

Buffalo Soldier
February 23rd, 2005, 06:21 AM
user/artist - gnome

IceAxe18
February 23rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Im a User/Artist:Gnome

darkoptix
February 23rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
User/Artist on Gnome and XFCE occasionally...

Hermes
February 23rd, 2005, 07:19 AM
Definitely a Gnome User/Artist

KiwiNZ
February 23rd, 2005, 07:51 AM
I couldnt answer the poll , not catagory for me :cry::cry::sad:

Deka
February 23rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
a little bit of each? gnome!

Ironi
February 23rd, 2005, 08:44 AM
I defy categorization... at least within the scope of the narrow voting options. Anyways, I'm a user, gamer, admin, slacker, and I intend to be a hacker -- the "good" kind, just as soon as I stop slacking enough to learn C and C++ (I will, eventually. Really. No joke. ;)). I'm most certainly not an engineer nor am I an artist.

Oh, and I use KDE presently.

kassetra
February 23rd, 2005, 05:40 PM
I couldnt answer the poll , not catagory for me :cry::cry::sad:

so what do you use your computer for?

kassetra
February 23rd, 2005, 05:42 PM
I defy categorization... at least within the scope of the narrow voting options. Anyways, I'm a user, gamer, admin, slacker, and I intend to be a hacker -- the "good" kind, just as soon as I stop slacking enough to learn C and C++ (I will, eventually. Really. No joke. ;)). I'm most certainly not an engineer nor am I an artist.

Oh, and I use KDE presently.

I understand that people are usually a mix of things... I'm just asking for your main user style... do you mostly program? are you mostly a user? you don't have to be an engineer to be an admin... it's really are you a user or artist? are you a programmer or a hacker? are you an engineer or an admin?

Sam
February 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
I'm an ex-Windows user who fell in love with Ubuntu :-) and did the complete switch.

I mainly develop web applications. And I like tweaking around, so linux is perfect for this !

Ironi
February 23rd, 2005, 09:23 PM
I understand that people are usually a mix of things... I'm just asking for your main user style...
Okay, but I think that's rather pointless; there's too much overlap, even for desktop users (they have to at the very least administrate their own boxes). Also, separating people based on KDE and GNOME is a bit silly (especially so here -- just look at the numbers (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14854)). IMO, you'd probably receive better answers without a poll. :)

Yukonjack
February 23rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
A little bit of everything mention in your poll and others not mention.
I think an extra choice for everything would be better for some of us.
As for desktop it as been poll to death before and is non essential for this kind of poll.

KiwiNZ
February 24th, 2005, 12:34 AM
so what do you use your computer for?

A coffee cup holder:razz:

ember
February 24th, 2005, 01:51 AM
O.k. I voted "Programmer/Hacker Gnome", yet it is used for daily applications, too.

Quest-Master
February 24th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Mainly a user/artist, but I also hack and program a lot as well. On Gnome, of course. ;)

Kakalto
February 24th, 2005, 06:19 AM
GNOME is great, with The GIMP, for graphics....

therefore, user/artist: GNOME.

Daniel G. Taylor
February 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I code Python, C, and C++. I administer a server and a few websites. I create in Inkscape, The GIMP, and Blender (sometimes). I use GNOME.

I also like to write and spend a lot of time chatting, browsing and testing software.

Since I had to choose, I chose Programmer/GNOME. :-D

oVerCaffeinated
February 26th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Mainly just web browsing at the moment and learning the ways of Linux. Hopefully after a bit of practice I'll be doing everything I used to do in Windows except gaming. I'll be doing some web design (got to get my head around The Gimp) and possibly coding. I use XFCE, but if I had to choose between KDE and GNOME, I'd take GNOME :)

Jad
February 26th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I'm * user

defkewl
February 27th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I'm just another programmer here. Don't care much about my linux settings, as long as my program can run on it that'll be fine. :p

mark
February 28th, 2005, 02:52 AM
User, yes. Artist, definitely not...I can't draw a straight line WITH a ruler...

Marquis_de_Carabas
February 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Hopefully after a bit of practice I'll be doing everything I used to do in Windows except gaming.

Why not a bit of gaming too? There's a fair few (http://www.happypenguin.org/) Linux games around (with Doom 3, Postal 2 and Crack Attack, I need never leave the house again!).

As for me, definitely user/artist. I do try to learn a little coding/admin and I watched War Games too many times as a child not to dream of hacking, but they're just not my main interests.

Oh, and it's Gnome all the way for me (although I couldn't live without K3b).

derek
March 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
Well Eng/Admin for me, I work in the technical/computing depts of a UK high school, our main server is duel operton and runs RHEL3 x86_64. It runs perfectly as a file server, dhcp/dns server. We also use a Whitebox Linux box as a web proxy server and gateway, yum is used to auto update it and I can't remember the last time I had to touch it. Both machines run 24/7.

I am new to Ubuntu and run a hoary box at home and I must say it's been pretty good so far, got it working wireless last weekend. If all goes well I will start to introduce it to the school pcs.

kassetra
March 2nd, 2005, 02:50 AM
Okay, but I think that's rather pointless; there's too much overlap, even for desktop users (they have to at the very least administrate their own boxes). Also, separating people based on KDE and GNOME is a bit silly (especially so here -- just look at the numbers (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14854)). IMO, you'd probably receive better answers without a poll. :)

Well, if you want to call my research pointless and silly, so be it, but you're not funding my research.

My research has suggested some unusual trends and I have created a poll / thread in order to get more data in regard to these trends. I based the poll questions on a very narrow set of circumstances, and while I knew it would not fit everyone exclusively, most people definitely have one area that they use their computer more for than anything else, so, no there's not too much overlap in this circumstance.

And no, I would not receive better answers without a poll; the poll is designed to gather a specific data set.

Maybe next time, before you use depreciatory terms and phrases, you might want to actually do some research yourself.

Daniel G. Taylor
March 2nd, 2005, 03:11 AM
I agree, however I have to say that judging from many of the posted replies your specific data set may be flawed. This of course doesn't mean it isn't still useful, just that it perhaps doesn't represent the whole truth of the matter.

kassetra
March 2nd, 2005, 04:52 AM
I agree, however I have to say that judging from many of the posted replies your specific data set may be flawed. This of course doesn't mean it isn't still useful, just that it perhaps doesn't represent the whole truth of the matter.

I'm looking for a very specific trend. This is just the first piece of sub data I need to gather before I can verify the beginnings of the trend and then actually write up the full survey.

The whole truth of the matter is months away right now... I just want this first piece to go over.

HungSquirrel
March 3rd, 2005, 06:12 AM
I'm a GNOME user. I occasionally do a little hacking, coding, development, theme creation, etc., but very rarely.

Dragonfly_X
March 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
What kind of linux user are you? That is the question.

Are you a linux user out of your intense hatred of Microsoft and how it has exploited the software industry

or

Are you a linux user because you truly believe in the concept of open source and make your controbution whether it may be financial or developing.

or

Where you just looking for something different and decided to try linux.
:lol:

Daniel G. Taylor
March 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
I believe in free software (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) (there is a difference), but I was also looking for something different and don't particularly like Microsoft (and quite a few other large tech corps).

P.S. In defense of Microsoft & co. I have to say that perhaps we shouldn't blame them for the failures of the political and economic systems in many of the more "advanced" nations of the world... All our lives we are taught to strive for money and fame; we are shown that they bring happyness to our lives. It is no wonder people will go to great lengths to achieve those goals.

factotum218
March 4th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I guess I'll go with artist/user gnome, fiddling around with xhtml, css and a bit of xml and xsl doesnt seem to count much for programming really.
Otherwise I have my nose buried in gimp, inkscape and nvu/bluefish.
I do graphic design for a living so I have my G5 "design factory" at work. More or less artist who is becoming web dev curious. I would like to eventually build myself an open source home recording studio. Just with there was an app that could let me drop .wav files into timed beats and measures like a sequincer/drum machine of sorts. At least until I can afford the rest of my drum kit and some better microphones.

beerorkid
March 4th, 2005, 07:50 AM
I started using ubuntu at work today.
I have been using and learning linux during the six months I have been working at my current job.

I was lucky enough to get an internship in an great environment. I work in the tech dept that is up on emerging trends. We are using vmware's ESX to run virtual servers. Including some linux ones that run apps and provide test environments. We are always looking for ways to do anything with open source that can help us run our network better.

I switched to a linux desktop after having to deal with the limitations of managing stuff in windows. Many of my peers at work were using linux of some flavor. I got the bug and used SuSE 9.1 > 9.2 to get a handle on linux stuff. I learned almost everything by consulting / reading forums. The network admin would lead me in the right direction on solving stuff, but would not just tell me how to do it. This made me have to figure it out. I learned at the same time.

I used ubuntu today to log in to and remotely manage several windows servers and PC's. I installed most of the management tools that I need on a daily basis, went through the excelent how toos that are on this site to get all I needed, and had hardly any issues that used to plague me. All in one afternoon while making the desktop look pretty.

I spent last weekend installing 7 different distros just to see how they are. ubuntu was the second I installed, and I knew I would have to load it again.

KDE or gnome? does it matter with ubuntu? Not really if you can still do anything with the console. The pretty stuff is just the ubuntu icing on the free cake. I dont miss much from KDE now that I know I can get the packages and still run some of my KDE apps.

clparker
March 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM
The results are going to be no good as the sample is biases as the poll is on a Ubuntu Forum no?

kassetra
March 4th, 2005, 05:53 PM
The results are going to be no good as the sample is biases as the poll is on a Ubuntu Forum no?

LOL only if I disregard all of the other areas I'm getting data from! This isn't the only place I am gathering information on usage. :) Just one of many many many.

psychic
March 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
based on the description you gave i am a gnome-hacker

[edit] typo

j-rock
March 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Engineer/Admin/Programmer/Hacker:: *Box

A jack of all trades, master of none, and hater of DE's.

Kimm
March 5th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I'm: Programmer/Hacker:Gnome

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2005, 09:21 PM
What kind of Linux user am I ?

I tall slim athletic type :razz:

trash
March 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Gnome user/artist
challenged but lovin it

dizzie
March 6th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Hacker/Engineer/Developer- kinda person 8)

Tsuroerusu
March 6th, 2005, 10:49 PM
In the poll I'm Programmer/Hacker:KDE

But to be real, I'm a mini-Engineer/Hacker:KDE

Why I like KDE? Because I light nice a bright colors and the feature set that it has :mrgreen:

kevanf1
March 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I have to say that this must be slewed towards the Gnome users anyway. Ubuntu comes with Gnome as standard after all. Personally I hate having to use Gnome - sorry Gnome lovers but it's my personal preference to use KDE. Will Ubuntu ever have this option in the standard distro package?

dewfis
March 10th, 2005, 02:26 AM
There's now something called Kubuntu, which I guess will be Ubuntu with KDE.

Bubbling Zombie
March 12th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Proud Kubuntu user, general laptop-user (everything except gaming - programming, surfing, hanging out on irc, listening to music during classes, etc...)

`Mrk
March 12th, 2005, 01:39 AM
User/Artist:Gnome

And perhaps (and hopefully too) I will be a Engineer/Admin in the future. :)

ubuntu_demon
March 12th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I voted : Programmer/Hacker:Gnome

I'm a student "Artificial Intelligence" so sometimes I need to program stuff.

poster_nutbag
March 15th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Like others in this thread, I don't really like the idea of splitting the poll into KDE / Gnome options. Makes it look like it's done that way to get the result you want.

I would classify myself as programmer/hacker. I don't really play with the OS much at all - I just want to program: sometimes I'll want to play with QT, more often with GTK+

carlc
March 15th, 2005, 04:19 AM
User/Artist:Gnome, more user than artist!

GentleHatemonger
March 15th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Hrm, this poll doesn't categorize me well.

Engineer/Admin - I run a web server, sql server, ftp server, dhcp server, etc.

Hacker/Programmer - I know 11 programming languages, and actively program in most of them (Assembly, Bash, C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript, Perl, PHP, Python, XHTML [and all things that fall under proper web design, CSS, etc.])

User/Artist - I spend a lot of time surfing the web, and I create a lot of art (All the art on my site is done by me in The GIMP)

Well, at least I prefer GNOME (because of its simplicity, philosophy, and licensing)

rkn
March 17th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Mostly Anarchist, but sometimes usr/artst

Bob

beeldings
March 18th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I'm an ex-Windows user who fell in love with Ubuntu :-) and did the complete switch.

Same here. I've been using Linux for about one year, and according to the poll, I am a GNOME User/Artist. I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now, and it has become my distribution of choice because of its ease of use and since it comes on one CD, I don't have to download multiple ISOs just to get a working system (like Fedora or Mandrake).

kadymae
March 18th, 2005, 11:20 PM
User/Artist. Gnome. (KDE is pure concentrated evil, IMHO.)

I want to surf the web, read email, write various odds and ends and code the occasional bit of HTML.

stoffe
March 19th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Ehhh.. hard one. User/Hacker I'd say. It's my main OS, and I do all the user stuff on it, but I also hack a lot, enough for me to feel that I don't fit into any of your categories. And even though I come from programming, I don't feel I actually do that enough anymore for it to be more than I am a user.

On top of that, Gnome/KDE doesn't really matter to me, or rather they do, but I can't decide which I like best. I was a KDE guy until I switched to Ubuntu with Gnome, which I found I like well enough too, now. It sure has some good sides, especially as polished as it is in Ubuntu. There still are many things that KDE does much better, especially their systems with Parts and things like that, and there are still quite a few applications that have no good counterparts in Gnome. However, I feel this is just a matter of time, and that the same is true the other way around. People who vehemently take either side are usually the kinds of guys that must at any cost belong somewhere, and that benefits noone. There is much to be won and learned by accepting differences.

Davepet
March 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Sorry, the poll is flawed & I can't vote.

I'm a user ( nothing "artist" about it) I use gnome in Ubuntu & KDE in Xandros & see little difference between them, other than that there seem to be more KDE specific apps. They both get the job done just fine.

Dave

kassetra
March 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
For those of you that didn't read why I created this poll, I'll give you a quick rundown:

1. This is a poll based upon some unusual findings in my research.

2. This is not the only poll I have, so no, the poll is not skewed toward one Distro/Desktop Environment. This poll gives me just one set of data.

3. The slashes (/) between the user types mean "AND / OR" ... so you could be one or both of the options.

4. The poll is not flawed - it is a poll to uncover a specific data set regarding my research in user interface design & user modes of comprehension.

5. I asked you to simply try to vote where you mostly fit (it will never be exact).

6. The Desktop Environment option (Gnome or KDE) is part of my research in User Modes of Comprehension - which is a vital aspect to my research, therefore, it *MUST* be included in the poll.

7. Again, I have to state this, this is not the only data set I am using for my research, nor is this poll "skewed" or "flawed" ... this poll relates ONLY to some unusual statistics that I have uncovered in my research. It is not an end-all-be-all poll because that wouldn't answer any of the questions I have uncovered; nor is my poll going to leave out the question of Desktop Environments, because that would also negate this data set.

Davepet
March 19th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Well, perhaps flawed is the wrong term, but I cannot honestly fit myself into either gnome or kde in the user category.

Only you know what you are looking for but from the outside it appears you have designed your poll only to confirm a hypothesis.(as opposed to dicovering if the hypothesis is true or not)

When so many seem to have trouble fitting themselves into your poll, it would seem your options have been chosen too narrowly. Forcing choice in that matter can often lead to incorrect results.

Dave

kassetra
March 19th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Well, perhaps flawed is the wrong term, but I cannot honestly fit myself into either gnome or kde in the user category.

Only you know what you are looking for but from the outside it appears you have designed your poll only to confirm a hypothesis.(as opposed to dicovering if the hypothesis is true or not)

When so many seem to have trouble fitting themselves into your poll, it would seem your options have been chosen too narrowly. Forcing choice in that matter can often lead to incorrect results.

Dave

I did not design the poll to confirm my hypothesis. I designed the poll based on certain trends - I haven't yet defined a hypothesis; I have only defined the trends -- so what I'm actually looking for is more data relating to these trends.

Again, the purpose was not to fit exactly, but mostly. I'm not forcing a choice, and if you had read my original statement before posting, you would have been able to see that.

The poll options I chose come directly from the points on my trend charting analysis. Obviously not every Linux user is going to fit in the trend - so I have purposely narrowed the poll to only those users that fit within the parameters. As far as "when so many users have troubles fitting in my poll" ... that was a "given" in any form.

If my poll were to fit every Linux user, it would be of no use to my trend analysis. I already have a data set concerning a wide set of Linux users.

Davepet
March 20th, 2005, 12:00 AM
OK, thanks for explaining...for the record, I did read your opening before I posted & quite a few (but no where near all) of the others comments. It was not clear to me that you intended to exclude some users like myself who have no preference in desktops.

While fitting "mostly" into a category may be your intent, the results may not be as accurate as you hope, in that I saw quite a few folks saying I voted this way, but I'm also that. That is what I meant by "forcing" a choice. When a person doesn't fit exactly into a category, they feel "forced" to choose one that fits poorly.

From what you've said, it might be better if they abstained from taking part.

Anyway, I hope you get the data you need...

Dave

kassetra
March 20th, 2005, 12:40 AM
While fitting "mostly" into a category may be your intent, the results may not be as accurate as you hope, in that I saw quite a few folks saying I voted this way, but I'm also that. That is what I meant by "forcing" a choice. When a person doesn't fit exactly into a category, they feel "forced" to choose one that fits poorly.

From what you've said, it might be better if they abstained from taking part.

As I said, this is just one source of data. Internet polls have a tremendously large margin of error compared to my standard polls and questionnaires, and I accepted that when I created this poll. I have no delusions nor hope of a high "accuracy." ... If I had been pinning all of my research on this single source of information, then yes, I would have many issues.

With that said, I have a percentage marker that I will use to adjust the scores before using the data set. So if people want to participate but don't feel strongly one way or another, that is perfectly acceptable. No one need abstain if they do not wish. And the comments are certainly welcome as to why votes went certain ways.

WRWEAST
March 20th, 2005, 02:31 AM
I am a user of multiple GNU/Linux 'GUI' environments.
Mandrake 10.1 PP 'daily' (KDE 3.2 - GNOME 2.6) and Fedora Core 3 'occasional' (GNOME 2.6) .
Ubuntu and Kubuntu are FINE efforts.
KDE 3.4 within KUBUNTU is good, but NO ROOT LOGIN is a FATAL mistake. (Try a 'plugin' addition.)
Textural environments are very 'dated' for required (ROOT) use in 2005.
This environment was 'in vogue' 30 years ago, as I survived this period you don't want to repeat it!
GUI is the 'desktop' future, ask Redmond about 'Windows + Longhorn' and SUN about 'Project Looking Glass'.

primeirocrime
March 20th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I'm a punk

and also I guess an artist/anarchist/gnome-feet guy.

TjaBBe
March 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM
O.k. I voted "Programmer/Hacker Gnome", yet it is used for daily applications, too.

Same here, as for maintaining my server... I run debian on the server itself though.

wk1989
March 27th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Definitely a Gnome User/Artist
User/Artist and Programmer/Hacker, will become an engineer hopefully!

Grey
March 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I use my computer for all 3 of the poll options, as all of them apply to me. But I picked the third option, as it was what I use my PC for most commonly.

Brunellus
March 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM
user/artist GNOME....but that's only some of the time. Mostly these days I'm on fluxbox.

Ozitraveller
March 27th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I sort of a mixed breed, I am both of these:

Engineer/Admin : you use your computer to run servers, develop server platforms, administer servers, etc.
Programmer/Hacker : you use your computer to write code, scripts, and generally tinker with code, scripts, settings, etc.

And I do this for windows too!

A kontrol freak I guess!!!

dataw0lf
March 28th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Engineer/Admin at work, mostly, Programmer/Hacker in my spare time.

mostwanted
April 1st, 2005, 03:55 PM
I'm a gnome user/artist, but I also do a bit of programming - multiplatform stuff like Java, Flash and PHP.

jeremy
April 3rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
I am one that sees no need whatsoever for usplash!

slipp3dstr3am
April 6th, 2005, 06:33 PM
but i will admit that i'm a complete N00b but hey i'm trying

jwb
April 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I am a retired Llama herder, who now does part-time monkey breeding.

Those littel boogers have sharp finger nails, I'll tell you what......

arctic
April 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM
and another one that fell into the category user/artist. although i do not really fit into the overall scheme, as i do gui-designs for gnome and kde as a graphic design-manager for yet another linux distro.

MasonM
April 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM
None of the above

occy8
April 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM
I answered this before.
I was googling today and found someting by accident that fits in here perfectly :grin:
Find out who you are

http://www.binaryshift.us/humor/evolution-of-a-linux-user.php

justinflavin
April 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM
engineer and programmer and "user/artist" here - i code and run servers in my worktime, do graphics and music in spare time...

but since i had to pick one option, i suppose its programmer/KDE

Stormy Eyes
April 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Well, I wear the admin and hacker hats from time to time, but I'm mostly a User/Artist running GNOME as a long-haired metalhead who writes crappy sci-fi as a hobby.

XDevHald
April 14th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Security Research Analysis, Backend/Front Developer, Web Designer, 3D Graphic Designer, & Tutorial Writer for most dev projects on HowTo's

lake
April 15th, 2005, 03:26 AM
I'm a new user...been reading lots of docs and pubs. I got the linux cookbook and the dummies book too. I got hooked by a copy of KNOPPPIX 3.7 on my HP Pavilion, but couldn't connect because of the winmodem issue. Ordered a linux box with Mandrake and... you guessed it Ubuntu installed. It's due to arrive any time now. and am I excited! \\:D/

Jason-X
April 15th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I enjoy messing around with Linux because I learn more about computers trying to make things work. Although to be honest, since I starting using Ubuntu (which just works) I have not had much to try and get working.

Apart from that I'm into graphics, using gimp & Inkscape etc.

Ubunted
April 15th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I use my Linux Lappy for three things - Firefox, GAIM and OpenOffice. Once I realized that, it was bye-bye Mandrake and hello Ubuntu.

andy_sp1ke
April 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I use Gnome and Hoary for all my computer uses, Firefox, Gaim, OpenOffice, media through totem (finally got realplayer to work! it wasnt running when click on the apps menu so if u have that system,preferences,sound and remove the tick from next to start sound server at start up!). I like using it, its more challenging to get it set up in a way where everything works which is fun aswell. I do sometimes switch to other distros but i always come back to ubuntu!

mike998
April 15th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I voted User/Artist: Gnome, but I'm using XFCE at the moment.
Where's the "Other" option? :???:

tirog
April 16th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm a User/Artist:Gnome

-TayloR-
April 16th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I'm a User/Artist:KDE type of linux person.

akinwale
April 18th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Wait, what if you're a bit of all three?
I use my box for:
1. Running a web server and database server
2. Developing web applications (PHP and ASP.NET thanks to Mono)
3. Programming, esp. Game Development (learning) using OpenGL/SDL
4. Browsing the web, checking emails, gaming, and other ordinary user tasks...

And I'm currently using Gnome as my desktop environment.

Stormy Eyes
April 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Wait, what if you're a bit of all three?

Which hat do you wear most of the time? I wear the user hat most of the time, but keep my wizard hat handy (it's a cute little pointy straw hat with a floppy peak) because I wear it when doing updates and such.

SamH
April 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM
User: Gnome. Before Ubuntu and Gnome 2.10 that would have been User:KDE with SuSE, Slackware, or whatever I was running at the time. When KDE 4.0 comes out, I'll check it out, too. Then will come Gnome 3.0. Or will G3 come before K4?

All I know is, It's great to have a choice! \\:D/

akinwale
April 18th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Which hat do you wear most of the time?
Erm... all?! Seriously...

Ranime
April 18th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I'm a gnome user, without the art... My main goal is to get rid of MS all together...

And I must say, that day is getting closer and closer :mrgreen:

locutus24
April 19th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I'm a gnome user, without the art... My main goal is to get rid of MS all together...

And I must say, that day is getting closer and closer :mrgreen:
I only have have one MS box, and its not mine so aside from that im all linux
As far as what kind of user i am, that is still undecided cause i use my box for everything maybe just under usr would be the right description

Brad wilkinson
April 19th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Well @ the moment I'm just learning about Linux in general, and someone at the SLUG meeting gave me Ubuntu 4.10......

Now I've got Ubuntu running on my dual PIII-800 (with the smp kernel) and its crunching Seti.

Next it to learn how to do the 'remote desktop' thing, so I don't need a monitor plugged in. It's so hard to go back to the old 14" curvy monitor, after 19" flat goodness.

Once I've got this sorted a bit, I am thinking about putting together a cluster to do Seti/F@H or some such.

Other than that I just surf & email.

Just playing really.

Nob
April 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM
well i didnt voted - coz nothing fits me :) i am artist, and programmer :) and not using KDE nor Gnome, i use XFCE... ;)

Sionide
April 19th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I'm another User/Artist Gnome, definately :)

Se7EnNi9E
April 21st, 2005, 03:05 PM
I am only a user...:)

Stiopa
April 22nd, 2005, 06:58 PM

Just tinkering at the moment and eager to learn more.

Chayyiel
April 22nd, 2005, 08:14 PM
User/Artist

Jenda
April 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Gnome User... much less artist.

wbeck85
May 2nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
I'm asking everyone here to mark their *general* preference combination, because I think I found a trend in my research, and I'd like to get published faster!

Please specify which very generalized *group* of linux user you fit into primarily:

Linux User Style:
User/Artist : you use your computer to *mainly* surf the web, check email, write documents, deal with photos/graphics/music, organize and store files, etc.

Desktop Environment:

Sorry xfce/fluxbox/enlightenment/et al. users, I just don't have enough data on you yet!

Uh, have you posted a similar poll at a place like Linuxforums (http://www.linuxforums.org/) or Linuxquestions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/). It seems to me that for a fair Gnome/KDE comparison, you would get more accurate results by posting the poll in a place that is not so Gnome-biased. Ubuntu is essentially a Gnome distro, so it seems to me that you would get people who prefer Gnome viewing and voting in you poll here, but maybe somewhere else, the KDE users might come out on top.

Just curious.

lappy512
May 5th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Uh, have you posted a similar poll at a place like Linuxforums (http://www.linuxforums.org/) or Linuxquestions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/). It seems to me that for a fair Gnome/KDE comparison, you would get more accurate results by posting the poll in a place that is not so Gnome-biased. Ubuntu is essentially a Gnome distro, so it seems to me that you would get people who prefer Gnome viewing and voting in you poll here, but maybe somewhere else, the KDE users might come out on top.

Just curious.
yes especially when KDE is more popular, and GNOME seems to be winning in this poll.

TopDog
May 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I'm definetly a user on the Linux plattform still. Maybe an admin some day.

I couldn't get Fluxbox to work properly under Warty, but now I'm all about Flux and KDE apps in Hoary... Best of two breeds :D

Brikkah
May 5th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I do some code in windows, but i do not yet code in linux,
maybe that comes later when i have read some tutorials :)
for now i am a User/Artist:Gnome

David Kaisemann
May 25th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Special category: The Newbe Ubuntu Linux 5.04 User/Artist for Gnome.

P.S. apt-get - wonderful thing!

Optimal Aurora
May 26th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Me, Well I am a server admin and programmer and personally I like to use KDE but I love the simple and easy to use GNOME (which is what I use a lot).

Gsibbery
May 27th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Engineer/Admin. Command line usually, though. :grin:

RastaMahata
May 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Im a user, but I'm studying software and telecommunications engineering, so I'll program a lot of software in the future...

so... I'm still a user, right? :)

andlinux21
May 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Just a user for right now but I will train like the kung fu masters and start playing with other things on Ubuntu

tread
May 29th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I voted programmer-gnome, but thats not really correct. I also program in QT (no KDE) .. and I use it to do normal stuff .. and oh .. also to draw sometimes though I wouldn't call myself an artist :)

Ride Jib
May 30th, 2005, 05:03 AM
I voted as "programmer," but I like to think of my time spent in Ubuntu as "research."

I'm a senior, studying Computer Science at a fairly decent University. I converted to Linux about 5 years ago, as a "user." Since then I have done a lot of experimenting with LAMP, Samba, etc.. I now use Ubuntu as my main desktop environment (once I receive my install CD's in the mail it will be both primary and secondary). I do all of my school programming in U, as well as all my leisure tinkering, and of course, my email/surfing/IMing is all done on U.

The only thing that is keeping a Winders partition on my desktop is my horrid horrid addiction to Half Life 2 / Counter Strike Source. [-X

harriF
May 30th, 2005, 10:48 AM

I'm 22 years old and fed up with winXP. Making the big change in about 9 days, when i'm done with my exams. Byebye XP :-)
I going for either English, German or Norwegian(if it's available) language.
I was recommended to begin with MEPIS or Ubuntu by a online Linux distribution chooser (don't remember url - sorry). Ubuntu had the coolest name imo, so here i am ;-)

SparkyDawg
May 31st, 2005, 12:11 AM
I voted as "programmer," but I like to think of my time spent in Ubuntu as "research."

I'm a senior, studying Computer Science at a fairly decent University. I converted to Linux about 5 years ago, as a "user." Since then I have done a lot of experimenting with LAMP, Samba, etc.. I now use Ubuntu as my main desktop environment (once I receive my install CD's in the mail it will be both primary and secondary). I do all of my school programming in U, as well as all my leisure tinkering, and of course, my email/surfing/IMing is all done on U.

The only thing that is keeping a Winders partition on my desktop is my horrid horrid addiction to Half Life 2 / Counter Strike Source. [-X

Just buy Cedega, you cheap bastard! ;-)

I use Linux for everything. I'm in high school, I use it for IMing, surfing, email, gaming, you name it. Ubuntu can do it all.

n!k
June 1st, 2005, 01:11 AM
Programmer and KDE user here.

phpman
June 1st, 2005, 02:13 AM
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I just converted my RedHat to Ubuntu. I luv it! I was using Win2K more
than RH.
- I set fstab to mount my Win2k HD, just in case I need files.
- I made a desktop icon to point to that drive, too
- I set grub to boot Ubuntu first (unlike my RH lilo)
- I imported all my OE emails into Thunderbird
- I set up Firefox and imported all the bookmarks
- Synaptic Rocks!
- Days go by and I don't even boot Win2k anymore!

And all this from a broken down 60 yr old php programmer. Long has come Linux
from my Unix daze back in the early 70's...WOW!

There is hope for all!

-phpman

jjross
June 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM
I started out trying fedora and for a newbie to linux it was not very friendly and then i found UBUNTU, WOW I rareley ever fire up my xp harddrive anymore

spanna
June 3rd, 2005, 02:31 AM

As it is only on my home machine

Now if I could only get WoW to run I could get rid of M$FT ;-)

Technoviking
June 3rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
Admin/Gnome, but usually keep servers at the command line.

Mike

Efwis
June 3rd, 2005, 09:26 PM
I prefer ubuntu over my xp OS, I use it to make websites, do some coding, although that has a tendency of being hard since most of my codes are for winblows, I use it to help M$ victims clean their computers of crapware/malware and the likes.

Gtaylor
June 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM
It works absolutely wonderful for embedded systems development of various types. It has also served a lab of 9 or so people very well (Kubuntu in particular since it resembles Windows).

CyberHobo
June 9th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Engineer/Admin:Gnome

I don't even know why I have dual booting options with GRUB since I haven't used Windows XP since installing ubuntu around two months ago. \\:D/

matthew
June 9th, 2005, 06:25 AM

I'm a writer and researcher and in my off time an amateur computer geek.

bmwboy
June 9th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Im a programmer in gnome, also do some server stuffz though

qalimas
June 9th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I'm a typical KDE user. I sometimes write some basic apps using Gambas just for the fun of it. I do web design on here, some layout and php coding type of stuff. I skin forums and all that good stuff as well XD

desdinova
June 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I'm a typical KDE user. I sometimes write some basic apps using Gambas just for the fun of it. I do web design on here, some layout and php coding type of stuff. I skin forums and all that good stuff as well XD
Im doing a Masters in Astrophysics - I use Linux for Fortran 95 (Intel), GnuPlot, Maxima etc etc - as well as general browsing and stuff ;-)

alive
June 11th, 2005, 05:21 AM
I am, um, all three of those, sort of. I administer a website and some services on it (although the server isn't mine), I code occasionally (although I'm not a prolific, or very good, or professional programmer), I'm a user, and I make music, if that counts as art (I can't draw though). And I use the ion window manager, because I don't like the mouse.

Where's the "Admin/Programmer/Musician/User:Ion" option, you insensitive clod?

(Seriously, though, I think an "other" option might have been nice.)

DarkKnight
June 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Programmer:Gnome.

Although it is also my main enviroment, the machine it's self is used 90% for dev and 10% for other stuffs.

kaaredyret
June 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I am a casual user

soltys
June 12th, 2005, 03:01 PM
i' am User/Artist:Gnome
I first time use a Gnome for X Window :)

pietro_spina
June 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Voted for user/artist:gnome
the reality is I use Linux for the entertainment value of learning something new as well as e-mail, internet and such... and trying to convince girlfriend to try writing her programs on my ubuntu box... hehehe

have a headless firewall/sftp/http server not running ubuntu (which I use to learn admin type stuff)
1 crossover cable
and of course my ubuntu box...

p

KingBahamut
June 17th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Engineer/Admin:xfce

dmsynck
June 17th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I picked programmer/hacker Gnome since I use Ubuntu to write Python Scripts. However, if I could have picked multiple uses, I also use it as a general desktop
(Web surfing, email, rss reader, etc.)

Ali_Baba
June 17th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Im a programmer/hacker Gnome and also a user Gnome.Learning linux programming and c++ and also do lots of internet surfing and watching videos/listening music :)

gwon
June 18th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Im a programmer/hacker Gnome and also a user Gnome.Learning linux programming and c++ and also do lots of internet surfing and watching videos/listening music :)
I went with "User/Artist:Gnome" although I'm technically a web developer, I guess I fit under artist more than I do under hacker.

mak
June 21st, 2005, 11:53 AM
It's a very good forum. :) I didn't see any thread to introduce myself as a new member. So, my first post goes here. Hello! Ubuntuforums! ( O:) ofcourse I voted here)

Teroedni
June 24th, 2005, 09:39 PM
User/Artist

The Gray Hat
June 25th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Wow, not that many hackers out there...

TristanMike
June 26th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Well, considering this is my very first experience with an os outside of Micro$haft, and I have no idea how to install KDE, I'd say I'm a User/Artist:Gnome.
TristanMike

rockmusic88
June 27th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Kvark
June 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Programmer/artist/user, mostly programmer atm, gnome cause thats default for ubuntu, but I'm happy with any user interface that lets me do what I want without too much hassle.

SS2
July 7th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I really only surf the web and do a bit this and that sometimes.

Lord Illidan
July 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I am a programmer (well, learning to program) on KDE...
(and it seems it is a lonely world)

darkmatter
July 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Programmer/Hacker/User/Artist on a peronal level, though I am thinking of going public with the artist bit.

zeroK
July 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Admin+Programmer+OpenBox ;)

DarthBagel
July 18th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Definately a user, but I hope to learn some programming skills soon.

Simon K
July 19th, 2005, 12:58 AM
I ticked Programmer/Hacker: GNOME, although it's not entirely accurate.

For one thing, I'm a musician and artist (read: maker of GIMP doodles) as much as I'm a programmer. Programming is just what's closest to being my day job; me being a computer science student and all. For another, I really prefer a more minimalistic setup than either of the two big desktop environments; I use the Enlightenment window manager with no file manager or any of all that -- my preferred file manager is zsh, for everything but images. I use gqview's thumbnails for that. I chose GNOME because the majority of the applications I use are GTK-based.

Cheers,
Simon

WirelessMike
July 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Engineer/Admin

I use ubuntu (gnome) to administer a large mysql database for my telecom employer. The database, itself, is a solaris server and database. I use ubuntu to write and execute scripts, monitor activity, and other general admin. I also use it for more typical activity since it is so much more reliable and stable than my company provided windows machine.

skatedawe
July 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
user/artist - gnome

Dural
July 23rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
A fairly new user to Linux

User/Artist: KDE

Is Gnome any good? I've never used it before.

darkmatter
July 24th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Is Gnome any good? I've never used it before.

It depends on what you prefer in a desktop. I had been a KDE user for quite some time, but after trying GNOME (GNU Network Object Model Environment - which you probably know already), I dumped KDE entirely.

GNOME is developed utilizing the HIG (Human Inteface Guidelines), and as such, it tends to be much more transparent, and thus lend to increased productivity. That's just my experience, milage may very.

PS->GNOME doesn't rely on 75,000,000 wizards the way KDE does. ;-)

isTHEr3mOr3
July 24th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I've used KDE in my "Mandrake-days". They both do the job quite well and intuitive.
Using Gnome from KDE or KDE from Gnome is not a very big step. If you like KDE I don't think there's a real reason to use Gnome.
More important than the interface is IMHO the distro that it drives.

BTW I'm a GNOME user/artist and I like to be one ;-)

gray-squirrel
July 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM
User, KDE. . .

I'm almost finished settling in and getting used to Kubuntu, and soon I look forward to programming. Even if I don't get around to that, I'll stick with KDE (uses less RAM than Gnome, doesn't have the claustrophobic feel).

graigsmith
July 29th, 2005, 12:47 AM
user/artist here. i even have the wacom tablet :)

drogoh
July 29th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Engineer/Admin: Gnome

It's my profession. I keep Linux servers in check. However, I don't run Gnome on Linux, I run it on my FreeBSD desktop at work. My only Linux desktop can't handle a full loadout of Gnome so I had to go back to old habits and become one of those elusive Fluxbox Linux folks that kassetra referred to.

arcanistherogue
July 29th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Programmer/Hacker (although a crappy one) on KDE.

jyank
July 30th, 2005, 09:12 PM
user/artist, but I actually prefer fluxbox :) but I also use gnome a bit as well, KDE just reminds me of windows too much

amrust
July 30th, 2005, 11:46 PM
User/Artist on Gnome

vladuz976
July 31st, 2005, 09:57 AM
user/artist plus programmer

Jivicin
August 2nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

main ()

{

cout << "Programmer, GNOME." << endl;

}

seanroth
August 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM

I mainly develop web applications. And I like tweaking around, so linux is perfect for this !
That's the exact same thing with me. (Programmer/Hacker:Gnome)

ameerirshad
August 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Well it seems I fit in the mainstream category: Gnome user/artist......... though let me be clear: no artist for me, or it must be my poetry!

atilasendil
August 9th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I fall under the cathegory user/artist too;
even though I am a daytime programmer+engineer+admin+hacker I am using the false OS for my job :-)
I am learning linux; and thanks to the community and developers of ubuntu;
plan to be in the cathegories for ubuntu I am in for M$ OS :-)

bkasterm
August 14th, 2005, 06:14 AM
User/Scientist: GNOME

I use my computer for:
Email/webbrowsing
Looking up papers/Writing papers
Learning about software (both general use (C++ ..) and logical (proof assistants, functional programming).
Learning about computers in general (beginner here: security issues, seting it up correctly, ...)

Best,
Bart

autocrosser
August 14th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Falling in the "normal"--I am moving my Web Design/Photoshop work to Ubuntu with Screem/Bluefish & Gimp--So I am on the "working" side of "artist"

bjweeks
August 14th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Yep I'm a User: Gnome who would have thought. ;-)

Slugger
August 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM
I'm a User/Artist: Gnome :)

Jeezis
August 14th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Hacker/Programmer KDE all the way! Down with gnome! :-p

xequence
August 15th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule
i'm a user/artist for gnome

what a coincidence - me too

Wow, its a small world after all! Me too, along with 483+ other people :P

Tiede
August 18th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Wow, its a small world after all! Me too, along with 483+ other people :P
What a koinkidenk! Me too :D
I think it is what to be expected of the majority of users: user/artist with gnome...

Boromir
August 18th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I am a Gnome User/Artist of course.

txm0523
August 26th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I guess I would be Artist/GNOME. I love this Ubuntu Linux OS

Linux_Noobie
August 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM

Linux User Style:

Desktop Environment:

I use it mainly as a User/Artist but also run a server at the same time on it (Running in backround :) )

kagashe
August 29th, 2005, 11:32 AM

but I switched to XFCE because my Laptop has 128 MB RAM.

kagashe

[pl]ice
August 29th, 2005, 03:16 PM
User/Artist:KDE

for the moment.... ;)

jatos
August 29th, 2005, 03:36 PM
ice']User/Artist:KDE

for the moment.... ;)
hmm, I easily use for as a user and programmer.... I had a little difficutely deciding which one to go for but I decided programmer in the end...

Lux Perpetua
August 31st, 2005, 05:51 AM
I chose user/artist, but programmer/hacker also fits somewhat.

kolo
September 2nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
No one of them ))
I`m programmer/Windows XP ))
Today I install Ubuntu )

npaladin2000
September 2nd, 2005, 10:46 AM
No one of them ))
I`m programmer/Windows XP ))
Today I install Ubuntu )

GAAH! INFIDEL! HEATHEN! UNBELIEVER! POLITICIAN! ;)

I'm kidding. Welcome to Linux. :) I think with tools like KDevelop, Eclipse, and Glade, you'll become quite at home programming in Linux as well. Plus all the Borland tools are available natively for Linux. Which programming tools do you normally use for Windows?