PDA

View Full Version : natural gas monthly bill in winter

sdowney717
January 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
so what is yours?
I live in SE coastal virgnia.
I just turned on the NG furnace which has been off for a year
Usually we just use the heat pump.

I still remember that $300 NG bill one month a few years ago.
So I dont like to run that thing.

samalex
January 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM
so what is yours?
I live in SE coastal virgnia.
I just turned on the NG furnace which has been off for a year
Usually we just use the heat pump.

I still remember that $300 NG bill one month a few years ago.
So I dont like to run that thing.

Here in Texas I don't think many homes use natural gas for heating, but our electric bill has been running around $250-$300 with heating our house. I need to keep tabs on the electric meter each day to see how much we use daily. We have a smart meter, but it's not activated to get daily/live readings yet.

keithpeter
January 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Hello All

UK, late October to Jan 4th was £170 for the quarter. Central heating plus hot water and cooking. We have had a cold winter by local standards (North Atlantic Oscillation &c).

TiBaal89
January 11th, 2011, 09:23 PM
My worst bill in the winter is usually about $50... one of the nice things about a ~900ft^2 house in Tucson, AZ. :D

aromo
January 11th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Just paid my bill for CAD$117 and change here in Toronto, Canada. Average throughout the year falls under CAD$100.

Sorry, what does this have to do with Ubuntu again?

tgm4883
January 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Just paid my bill for CAD$117 and change here in Toronto, Canada. Average throughout the year falls under CAD$100.

Sorry, what does this have to do with Ubuntu again?

Nothing, thats why it's in the community cafe

Brent0
January 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Gas is not a problem price-wise for me. Water prices are extremely high in my area. I expect my bill to surpass $200 a month in a year or two.

juancarlospaco
January 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
None.

I dont use Gas, only Electricity.

handy
January 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
This is a scary documentary:

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

KiwiNZ
January 12th, 2011, 09:18 PM
My average monthly Winter energy account for Natural Gas and Electricity is $760 NZ ( $579 US)

That runs our heating, Spa pool , sauna and rest of the home energy.

bwhite82
January 13th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I work for the gas company here in my area. "High bill complaints" are the norm for this time of the year. I go out and investigate these and its usually pretty straight-forward:

-Very poorly insulated foundation (ie No insulation packed into the inside of the foundation in the basement)
-Many cases large, unsealed holes in the foundation (maybe you had central AC installed this past summer but the guy didn't seal the lines as they entered the foundation)
-Windows that are original to a 50+ year old home (time to upgrade)
-Ratty basement windows instead of glass block
-I am surprised at how often I come across a home with zero insulation in the attic. Yes, really!
-Undersized furnace for the size of the home
-Furnace very old, not properly maintained (you need yearly or bi-annual servicing. These very old furnaces use A LOT of gas)

Tips pretty much echo above:

-For every wire, cable, hose, pipe going through your foundation, check to insure they are insulated and sealed (this will also help with bugs!)
-Cut pieces of insulation and cram them into the crevices of your foundation
-Consider replacing those hand-blown, 1880s glass windows
-Consider installing glass block (not as expensive as you may think, will pay for itself over a couple of winters)
-Double check that you indeed have attic insulation
-If you have a "ceiling door" for your attic, place insulation over that (you can often feel cold air coming from this)
-Old furnace? Consider an upgrade to an 80/90% efficient model

Edit: Change the filter!

juancarlospaco
January 13th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Here houses dont have attic and basement,
im installing spanacustic this year, i hope thats good for insulation.

uRock
January 13th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Our first winter in our house brought us a $300 gas bill as well. Over the summer we had our central air unit replaced. I just got our first winter gas bill and it is almost half of what it was last year and the year before. The next improvement that will cut the cost will be the installation of carpet. Tile on cement keeps the house too cold.

I dont use Gas, only Electricity.
That would be expensive where I am. Most people here that run their AC in the summer pay $500 or more a month. I use evaporative cooling which uses about 1/15th the power of a central air unit.

juancarlospaco
January 13th, 2011, 02:16 AM
That would be expensive where I am. Most people here that run their AC in the summer pay $500 or more a month. I use evaporative cooling which uses about 1/15th the power of a central air unit.

At the place i live, electricity is free.
i use a electric stove(2000w), electric cooktop(1000w) and electric shower(3000w).
ceiling fan on summer(100W), here we got 220Volts instead of 110Volts.
AC here is too expensive, multiply the price x4+Taxes, someday i will buy one.
I ear that evaporative cooling produce fungus into your Skin, is true?

Timmer1240
January 13th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Here in North Dakota Last months bill was 170 dollars 100 of it gas 70 dollars for electricity and it was COLD!

uRock
January 13th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I hear that evaporative cooling produce fungus into your Skin, is true?It can cause mold problems in humid climates. If the humidity breaks 20-30 percent, then I turn it off and the AC gets turned on.
The air is super dry where I live, so humidity isn't a problem.

cptrohn
January 13th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I am about $200 a month so far this winter. A whole lot better than the $300+ I was paying last winter. I had the gas company out last year to check my lines because it was so much more than normal. My dad worked for the local gas company for 30 years he explained to me the local company panicked when Natural Gas was climbing so they bought when it was too expensive and passed the cost on to the end user.

QIII
December 18th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I have gas.

whatthefunk
December 18th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Wow. You guys pay an insane amount to heat your houses. My average bill in the winter is $60 or so. I throw on an extra layer and turn the heat down a bit to save money:)

lisati
December 18th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Wow! An old thread awakened by spam! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2095801) ):P