PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yet another example of cannot boot to GUI

XEtedBear
January 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry to start a new thread here, especially given the existing threads on this topic - but none of them I have looked at so far have pointed to an effective solution.

I'm running 10.10; my grapics card is an nVidia Quadro 280 NVS. I have chosen this card beacuse it was something I could afford and gave me good dual screen support. Installing anything other than the default display driver shipped in Ubuntu 10.10 has caused a problem in the past. Even nVidia technical support are unable to decide which is the correct driver for this card under Ubuntu.

In a moment of lacking concentration today, while trying to understad how to get better font support, I elected, in system preferences, to use other than the most basic system appearance. I immediately tried to stop the video driver update but was unsuccessful. The system now boots to a command line prompt only.

Last time this happened I tried for almost 2 weeks to get help to revert to the standard Ubuntu driver, but there seemed to be no help available. I had to re-install Maverick.

This is such a painful process when there are a lot of apps. installed that I am in depair at the thought of having to go through all that again (more than 2 days solid work, because my motherboard does not like Linux).

Can some skilled person advise me how to revert to my previous Ubuntu display driver (is it the Nouveau driver?), from the command line?