PDA

View Full Version : Are Windows and OSX linux distros

nidzo732
January 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Other Distros
If you do not use Ubuntu you may select another distribution below. We've only included the top contenders on this list (sorry we won't add more).

This is from user details in the contol panel. There are some distros on the list but there are also Windows, Solaris, OSX and FreeBSD:confused:. I agree that theese sistems should be on the list but they shouldn't be called distros.

NightwishFan
January 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
That is really irrelevant. I am sure the list originally or primarily was for the other distributions you might use and they expanded that to include other non-linux operating systems.

kaldor
January 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Windows, OS X, Solaris and FreeBSD don't use Linux.

RiceMonster
January 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Semantics.

nidzo732
January 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Windows, OS X, Solaris and FreeBSD don't use Linux.

So why are they called distros.

NightwishFan
January 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Semantics.

:lolflag: I was going to post with just that however I thought it might be rude. I am glad someone else did though.

forrestcupp
January 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM
They are distros. It doesn't say "Linux" distro anywhere. It only says "Other Distros".

Distro is short for "distribution." Windows and OSX are distributions.

Joeb454
January 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM
No, they're not. But is it really worth adding an extra option called 'other' to contain only Windows and OS X, when you can put them in a field that's already there?

Don't take too much notice of the fact it says 'distros', people will get the point that's intended

fatality_uk
January 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM
:lolflag: I was going to post with just that however I thought it might be rude. I am glad someone else did though.

Surely RiceMonster means the OP was being Pedantic :D

sanderd17
January 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
They are distros. It doesn't say "Linux" distro anywhere. It only says "Other Distros".

Distro is short for "distribution." Windows and OSX are distributions.

In fact, windows is not a distro. "Windows 7 home edition" and "Mac OSX 10.6", those are distros. Windows is just a set of distros. :P

Johnsie
January 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Linux doesn't have copyright on the word disto

Zlatan
January 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Linux doesn't have copyright on the word disto

so should Canonical make a patent for it?;]

thatguruguy
January 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM
You can't patent a word.

Spice Weasel
January 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Distro™ and Distribution™ are trademarks of Spice Weasel Inc.™ and should not be used without expressed permission or legal action will be taken.

CraigPaleo
January 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Distro™ and Distribution™ are trademarks of Spice Weasel Inc.™ and should not be used without expressed permission or legal action will be taken.

May I say "d****o" in my next post?

Mr. Picklesworth
January 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Because when you call an operating system using Linux an “operating system,” people feel uncomfortable for some reason. (But it's fine if it uses a different kernel or runs on a phone).

Hur Dur
January 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Windows and Mac do not use the Linux Kernel, so no, they are not Linux distros.

undecim
January 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Windows, OS X, FreeBSD are all "distributions" just not Linux distributions.

A distribution just means a collection of software, which is more than just an OS (which really, most "operating systems" are. Don't you think Windows would operate just fine without mspaint.exe? That's extra software included in Windows distributions.)

inobe
January 11th, 2011, 08:16 PM
You can't patent a word.

they try to http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/23/patent-office-agrees-to-facebooks-face-trademark/

murderslastcrow
January 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
This is an absurd argument. The word 'distro' is short for 'distribution' which was first coined when people were trying to name their compilations of software (DE/WM+programs+kernel). They were called distributions of software.

Windows, OS X, and FreeBSD are all distributions of software collected from various sources. Windows, for example, has many components, and OS X obviously does- it's more of a tradition distribution of software.

So, if you're going to insist on focusing so much on words, it would be best to understand their meaning and etymology. In this regard, Windows and OS X are just as much distributions as Ubuntu, or Android for that matter.

thatguruguy
January 11th, 2011, 11:10 PM
they try to http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/23/patent-office-agrees-to-facebooks-face-trademark/

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. But then again, neither do you.

Just in case you're curious, patents and trademarks are controlled by the same agency in the US. Namely, the Patent and Trademark Office (usually referred to as the "P.T.O."). No patent was granted in the documentation you cited. The reason no patent was granted is because you can't patent a word.